Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12599 Discussions

Stratix IV GT: Unknown PHY found at PHY address: Marvell 88E1111

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am currently working with the Stratix IV for 40Gbps development, and that is going well, but I am getting hung up on providing an interface for the main design via a simple socket server utilizing the Triple Speed Ethernet Core. I have gotten to the point where I can load the design onto the board and get output from the terminal, however it appears that I am not communicating with the external PHY( Marvell 88E1111 ) correctly. 

InterNiche Portable TCP/IP, v3.1 Copyright 1996-2008 by InterNiche Technologies. All rights reserved. prep_tse_mac 0 Can't read the MAC address from your board. We will assign you a MAC address. Your Ethernet MAC address is 00:07:ed:ff:c9:74 prepped 1 interface, initializing... INFO : TSE MAC 0 found at address 0x09002000 WARNING : Unknown PHY found at PHY address 0x00 of MAC Group WARNING : Please add PHY information to PHY profile INFO : PHY - Automatically mapped to tse_mac_device INFO : PHY - Restart Auto-Negotiation, checking PHY link... INFO : PHY - Auto-Negotiation PASSED WARNING : Unknown PHY found at PHY address 0x01 of MAC Group WARNING : Please add PHY information to PHY profile WARNING : PHY - Mapping of PHY to MAC failed! Make sure the PHY address is defined correctly in tse_mac_device structure, and number of PHYs connected is equivalent to number of channel ... repeat of the same set of messages up to address 0x1f WARNING : Unknown PHY found at PHY address 0x1f of MAC Group WARNING : Please add PHY information to PHY profile WARNING : PHY - Mapping of PHY to MAC failed! Make sure the PHY address is defined correctly in tse_mac_device structure, and number of PHYs connected is equivalent to number of channel WARNING : MAC Group - Number of PHY connected is not equal to the number of channel, Number of PHY : 32, Channel : 1 INFO : PHY - Restart Auto-Negotiation, checking PHY link... INFO : PHY - Auto-Negotiation PASSED INFO : PHY - Checking link... INFO : PHY - Link established WARNING : PHY - PHY not found in PHY profile INFO : PHY - Speed = 100, Duplex = Full OK, x=0, CMD_CONFIG=0x01000000 MAC post-initialization: CMD_CONFIG=0x05000203 RX descriptor chain desc (1 depth) created mctest init called IP address of et1 :# ##.###.###.### Created "clock tick" task (Prio: 3) DHCP timed out, going back to default IP address(es) Simple Socket Server starting up Simple Socket Server listening on port 23 Created "simple socket server" task (Prio: 4)  

I have manually set an IP and MAC Address (IP was omitted for security purposes) and changed the listening port to 23, though I still cannot establish a connection. I believe that this is due to the "unknown PHY" warnings, which are themselves odd since the example code supports this phy by default. Normally I would use signalTap to check the mdio signals, but whenever I add signal tap to the design it forces the TSE core to go into evaluation mode ( I have no idea why ) and it can't be uploaded to the board. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thus thank you in advance.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

HI mduda: 

I have the same problem what about mapping of PHY to MAC failed. 

Did you resolve it ?  

if you or anybody know, please tell me how to do. 

0 Kudos