Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12410 Discussions

Stratix IV GT: Unknown PHY found at PHY address: Marvell 88E1111

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am currently working with the Stratix IV for 40Gbps development, and that is going well, but I am getting hung up on providing an interface for the main design via a simple socket server utilizing the Triple Speed Ethernet Core. I have gotten to the point where I can load the design onto the board and get output from the terminal, however it appears that I am not communicating with the external PHY( Marvell 88E1111 ) correctly. 

InterNiche Portable TCP/IP, v3.1 Copyright 1996-2008 by InterNiche Technologies. All rights reserved. prep_tse_mac 0 Can't read the MAC address from your board. We will assign you a MAC address. Your Ethernet MAC address is 00:07:ed:ff:c9:74 prepped 1 interface, initializing... INFO : TSE MAC 0 found at address 0x09002000 WARNING : Unknown PHY found at PHY address 0x00 of MAC Group WARNING : Please add PHY information to PHY profile INFO : PHY - Automatically mapped to tse_mac_device INFO : PHY - Restart Auto-Negotiation, checking PHY link... INFO : PHY - Auto-Negotiation PASSED WARNING : Unknown PHY found at PHY address 0x01 of MAC Group WARNING : Please add PHY information to PHY profile WARNING : PHY - Mapping of PHY to MAC failed! Make sure the PHY address is defined correctly in tse_mac_device structure, and number of PHYs connected is equivalent to number of channel ... repeat of the same set of messages up to address 0x1f WARNING : Unknown PHY found at PHY address 0x1f of MAC Group WARNING : Please add PHY information to PHY profile WARNING : PHY - Mapping of PHY to MAC failed! Make sure the PHY address is defined correctly in tse_mac_device structure, and number of PHYs connected is equivalent to number of channel WARNING : MAC Group - Number of PHY connected is not equal to the number of channel, Number of PHY : 32, Channel : 1 INFO : PHY - Restart Auto-Negotiation, checking PHY link... INFO : PHY - Auto-Negotiation PASSED INFO : PHY - Checking link... INFO : PHY - Link established WARNING : PHY - PHY not found in PHY profile INFO : PHY - Speed = 100, Duplex = Full OK, x=0, CMD_CONFIG=0x01000000 MAC post-initialization: CMD_CONFIG=0x05000203 RX descriptor chain desc (1 depth) created mctest init called IP address of et1 :# ##.###.###.### Created "clock tick" task (Prio: 3) DHCP timed out, going back to default IP address(es) Simple Socket Server starting up Simple Socket Server listening on port 23 Created "simple socket server" task (Prio: 4)  

I have manually set an IP and MAC Address (IP was omitted for security purposes) and changed the listening port to 23, though I still cannot establish a connection. I believe that this is due to the "unknown PHY" warnings, which are themselves odd since the example code supports this phy by default. Normally I would use signalTap to check the mdio signals, but whenever I add signal tap to the design it forces the TSE core to go into evaluation mode ( I have no idea why ) and it can't be uploaded to the board. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thus thank you in advance.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

HI mduda: 

I have the same problem what about mapping of PHY to MAC failed. 

Did you resolve it ?  

if you or anybody know, please tell me how to do.