Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

Streaming DMA transfer from UL

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear collegue engineers, I have been working with the NIOS II kit for a few weeks now and I have pretty much all of my interface/peripheral chips linked together. The only thing that I am still struggling with is opening a channel between my user logic module (running at 4MByte / second data rate) and my SDRAM (running at 20MHz). I use the dataavailable_n line to negotiate timing with the avalon bus, but that is not working in all cases (instantiated with SOPC-builder/Quartus II 4.2). The bus seems to stall, even when the dataavailable_n line (DAn-line) is asserted. If I tie the DAn low continuously, it runs but it is - of course - completely out of sync with me data channel. Anybody any experience with DMA handshake? I avoid using the HAL completely, because that is locking up the system completely. I use register addressing (as found in the altera_avalon_dma_regs.h, and I enabled only 16-bit (HW) transfer. I am fighting this bug for a few days now... http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Arjan, 

Not to put a damper on things, but we spent months trying to get Streaming DMA to work flawlessly. We gave up and inserted a fifo that interrupts the Nios and then dma the fifo contents into sdram.  

Mike D. has a peripheral that may help with this approach in the Post your IP section. We just used a standard LPM_FIFO and and IUL though. 

Ken
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Arjan, 

Streaming can certainly be tricky. Given your brief description, I wonder if your dataavailable_n signal could be misbehaving. I believe if a streaming signal changes midway through a transaction, the arbitration logic might become confused. Can you make sure your dataavailable_n goes to inactive level only on the cycle after data is delivered, or when the slave interface is idle?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the input Ken. I had no idea it was that tricky, but it seems to be working now though. After more digging I found out that the dataavailable line is also de-activating the CSn signal. That&#39;s not good, because I am starting my peripheral with a few write operation, and keep the DA line inactive until the data stream starts. Since those write operations are not happening, the peripheral doesn&#39;t start and the DMA is not initiated at all. So after changing that, it seems to run stable; but now the NIOS is slowing down by about 30%. Should I make the fifo in the DMA controller a bit deeper to minimize interrupt overhead?

0 Kudos