Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12435 Discussions

TSE on Cyclone III DSP Deveolpment KIT with uClinux

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi guys, 

I have a working project on a Stratix II development board and i have to move it on a cyclone III. I built the new system starting from nios2_linux_3c120_125mhz project, by removing some peripherals and by adding others, but nothing that involve TSE. Then I compiled uClinux kernel ( nios2-linux-20100621.tar, kernel 2.6.30) but after the boot network doesn't work. I selected Altera Triple Speed Ethernet (SLS) and Marvell PHY in the kernel option. With the command 

ping 192.x.x.x 

i can see the leds RX/TX working fine but i can't reach host destination. I see nothing with wireshark, so i think that there's a problem in initializing tse. I selected Altera Triple Speed Ethernet (SLS) and Marvell PHY in the kernel option. 

Anyone can help me?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are You sure Your timing parameters are correct? I had same issues when timing constrains were bad.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm quite sure. I started from a working project and i made only a few changes (nothing involving TSE or DMA) to adapt it to my requirements. After synthesis I have no error or warning related to timing. 

I think there's a problem in the init phase. I tried to execute the superloop example on this design (which is similar to the original ones) and it works, so I'm thinking there's a problem in uClinux driver.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Try an older/newer port of uClinux then.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I tried, same result. It doesn't work. 

Any other suggestions?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I changed the following instruction in nios2-linux/linux-2.6/arch/nios2/kernel/config.c from 

--- Quote Start ---  

.interface = PHY_INTERFACE_MODE_RGMII, 

--- Quote End ---  

to 

--- Quote Start ---  

.interface = PHY_INTERFACE_MODE_RGMII_ID, 

--- Quote End ---  

and now I'm able to ping another host in the network. I hope this will be useful for someone.