Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Tcl scripts with Nios II BSP Editor

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'd like to pass a custom Tcl script to nios2-bsp to modify the linker memory regions, just like Example 4-1 in the Nios II Software Developer's Handbook. How do I do that if I'm using the GUI and the NIOS II BSP Editor? Specifically, where do I tell the GUI that it should look for my Tcl script? 

I don't want to specify the entire BSP with a Tcl script, just modify it after the default script runs. On the command line I would do something like this: 'nios2-bsp hal my_bsp --script my_script.tcl".  

I did find some documentation that claims I can do this through a "New BSP Settings File" dialog box, but I have never seen that box. If this is in the documentation somewhere and I missed it, please let me know. 

Thanks. 

P.S. Is there a good way to debug these scripts? I'm new to Tcl, so I'm kind of guessing at how it should work at times.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In order to keep making progress, I'm working on the script with the command line tools. I've noticed that nios2-bsp will give me the following message: "Default memory regions will not be persisted in BSP Settings file." Why? 

For reference, my goal is to look for a memory region. If it's not there, I split an existing region into two. If it is there, I do nothing. What I'm finding is that most of the time I lose all of the default memory regions when I run nios2-bsp and I don't understand why.
0 Kudos