Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12603 Discussions

Touch LCD for DE10 nano and compare with BeagleBoard

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi experts 

I'm coming from microcontroller worlds and want to start learn FPGA and embedded Linux  

Is that kit good choice for start ?? 

Also is cyclone v soc FPGA better than sitara Ti application processor that have almost every thing ready from industrial and motion control and artificial intelligence point of view?? 

Finally can I implement LCD controller to connect touch LCD for that kit ?? 

Thanks for advice
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

--- Quote Start ---  

Is that kit good choice for start ?? 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes, you can add on the daughter cads and enhances your design. 

--- Quote Start ---  

Also is cyclone v soc FPGA better than sitara Ti application processor that have almost every thing ready from industrial and motion control and artificial intelligence point of view?? 

--- Quote End ---  

I can't comment on the sitara. 

We have constrains in cyclone V SoC like we can't use all the interface available in HPS. due to IO constrains  

--- Quote Start ---  

Finally can I implement LCD controller to connect touch LCD for that kit ?? 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes you can use VEEK kit for the LCD with Cyclone 5 SoC kit. 

https://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?language=english&categoryno=66&no=1060 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

TI sitara functions very well as a microcontroller / processor, and a lot of universities / courses use one of its development kit for teaching embedded related materials. FPGA on the other hand is different as you will be using HDL (instead of C++, for example) to develop hardware functions in the device itself.  

So the answer is, depends on what you want to learn :)
0 Kudos