Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

Triple Speed Ethernet Qsys connections

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I need to connect a TSE component to NiosII in Qsys and am confused as to which AvalonST adapter(s) to use. Can someone please provide an example? 

I have a custom board, but right now I'm trying to design the system in the Cyclone III Nios II Development Kit (NEEK). 

I am using QuartusII 11.0 and all of the reference designs for the NEEK are in QII 8.0. Is there a cycloneIII_ebedded_evaluation_kit QII/Qsys 11.0 reference design available? That would really help!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Nothing changed in QSYS from SOPC examples. Use SOPC builder example and add same components and connections in QSYS.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Nothing changed in QSYS from SOPC examples. Use SOPC builder example and add same components and connections in QSYS. 

--- Quote End ---  

It would be so nice if this were the case, but unfortunately re-building the old SOPC designs in Qsys and recompiling in QuartusII 11.0 is not all that straight-forward and they usually fail on the first pass with cryptic errors that require a lot of time to track down. 

Fortunately I came across a new Web Server reference design for the Cyclone III NEEK kit that seems to have what I need in it. It is designed in version 11.0 of QuartusII/Qsys and seems to be very clean and well documented. It's the best reference design that I have seem from Altera. Hopefully there will be more like this to follow. I would like to know who designed it. 

Of course it does not work out of the box (I've yet to see anything from Altera that does). There's a missing definition in the main C source file that prevents the software from compiling. How could this be? I will be posting this in a separate thread shortly. 

Anyway, if you haven't seen it yet, here's a link to the reference design: 

http://www.altera.com/support/examples/nios2/exm-net-std-de.html
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Simply, if You don't add particular component in QSYS, then those components are not enabled in BSP options and are not defined in system.h file. 

This is very common when You don't add flash or use the different name than in example. I usually use my own network settings file without flash, because it is used only for mac address and web files in web server example.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Simply, if You don't add particular component in QSYS, then those components are not enabled in BSP options and are not defined in system.h file. 

--- Quote End ---  

Ah ha! The error I was getting was: 

web_server.c:346: error: 'led_pio_base' undeclared (first use in this function) 

The example Qsys design implements two Qsys submodules, one of which contains the LED_PIO component. I checked to see if it was defined in the system.h file as you suggested, and found that it had the name "PERIPHERAL_SUBSYSTEM_LED_PIO_BASE". 

I changed the web_server.c file to use this name instead of "LED_PIO_BASE" and it compiled and ran correctly. 

Thanks for your help and quick reply to my plea for help. 

Now, how do we get this information to Altera so they can make the correction to the example design?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Go to support page and fill a Service Request. 

QSYS is still in early development stage I suppose, because there are lots of bugs. I use Quartus 11sp1, but still left with SOPC.
0 Kudos