Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

Trouble building project with Cygwin

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I am trying to automate my build process, so I installed Cygwin to build my NIOS-II software projects. I am able to build my project with the NIOS II software build tools for Eclipse GUI, but I run into a problem when build from the command line. 

I believe I have added the proper directories to my search path, but when I make, I still get a command not found error. I have included the error message below. Any help with solving this will be very much appreciated.  

Thanks, 

Nsatyana 

$ make 

Info: Building ../hello_0_bsp/ 

C:/altera/11.0/nios2eds/bin/gnu/H-i686-mingw32/bin/make --no-print-directory -C 

../hello_0_bsp/ 

[BSP build complete] 

Info: Linking hello_0.elf 

nios2-elf-g++ -T'../hello_0_bsp//linker.x' -msys-crt0='../hello_0_bsp//obj/HAL/ 

src/crt0.o' -msys-lib=hal_bsp -L../hello_0_bsp/ -Wl,-Map=hello_0.map -O0 -g 

-Wall -EL -mno-hw-div -mhw-mul -mno-hw-mulx -o hello_0.elf obj/hello_world.o 

-lm 

nios2-elf-insert hello_0.elf --thread_model hal --cpu_name cpu --simulation_enab 

led false --id 0 --sidp 0x10022c90 --timestamp 1319134118 --stderr_dev jtag_uart 

--stdin_dev jtag_uart --stdout_dev jtag_uart --sopc_system_name cycloneIII_3c12 

0_dev_niosII_standard_sopc --quartus_project_dir "c:/altera/11.0/kits/CycloneIII 

_3C120_FPGA/examples/NS_cycloneIII_3c120_dev_niosII_standard" --jdi C:/altera/11 

.0/kits/CycloneIII_3C120_FPGA/examples/NS_cycloneIII_3c120_dev_niosII_standard/c 

ycloneIII_3c120_dev_niosII_standard.jdi 

C:\altera\11.0\nios2eds\bin\nios2-stackreport: line 6: /cygdrive/c/altera/11.0/n 

/sh_pl.sh: No such file or directory 

C:\altera\11.0\nios2eds\bin\nios2-stackreport: line 7: $'\r': command not found 

make: *** [hello_0.elf] Error 127 

make: *** Deleting file `hello_0.elf'
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'd look at the nios2-stackreport file, I think it is being executed as a shell script - but may be some binary file. 

OTOH I'm not at all clear why Altera need to use java to hack elf binaries!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

nios2stackreport is a bash script and its contents are as follows:# !/bin/bash 

FILEPATH=${0//\\/\/} 

_this_script=$(cd ${FILEPATH%[\\/]*} && echo $(pwd 2>/dev/null)/${FILEPATH##*/}) 

_this_script_dir=$(dirname ${_this_script}) 

export SOPC_KIT_NIOS2=${_this_script_dir/\/bin} 

. "${_this_script_dir}/sh_pl.sh" $@ 

I was having trouble with the last line. sh_pl.sh was not being properly called, so I located sh_pl.sh on my system and called it explicitly using its absolute path. and i got the following error message: 

$ make 

Info: Building ../hello_0_bsp/ 

C:/altera/11.0/nios2eds/bin/gnu/H-i686-mingw32/bin/make --no-print-directory -C 

../hello_0_bsp/ 

[BSP build complete] 

Info: Compiling hello_world.c to obj/hello_world.o 

nios2-elf-gcc -xc -MP -MMD -c -I../hello_0_bsp//drivers/inc -I../hello_0_bsp//HA 

L/inc -I../hello_0_bsp/ -I../hello_0_bsp//drivers/inc -DSYSTEM_BUS_WIDTH=32 -pi 

pe -D__hal__ -DALT_NO_INSTRUCTION_EMULATION -DALTERA_TRIPLE_SPEED_MAC -DALT_SING 

LE_THREADED -O0 -g -Wall -EL -mno-hw-div -mhw-mul -mno-hw-mulx -o obj/hell 

o_world.o hello_world.c 

Info: Linking hello_0.elf 

nios2-elf-g++ -T'../hello_0_bsp//linker.x' -msys-crt0='../hello_0_bsp//obj/HAL/ 

src/crt0.o' -msys-lib=hal_bsp -L../hello_0_bsp/ -Wl,-Map=hello_0.map -O0 -g 

-Wall -EL -mno-hw-div -mhw-mul -mno-hw-mulx -o hello_0.elf obj/hello_world.o 

-lm 

nios2-elf-insert hello_0.elf --thread_model hal --cpu_name cpu --simulation_enab 

led false --id 0 --sidp 0x10022c90 --timestamp 1319134118 --stderr_dev jtag_uart 

--stdin_dev jtag_uart --stdout_dev jtag_uart --sopc_system_name cycloneIII_3c12 

0_dev_niosII_standard_sopc --quartus_project_dir "c:/altera/11.0/kits/CycloneIII 

_3C120_FPGA/examples/NS_cycloneIII_3c120_dev_niosII_standard" --jdi C:/altera/11 

.0/kits/CycloneIII_3C120_FPGA/examples/NS_cycloneIII_3c120_dev_niosII_standard/c 

ycloneIII_3c120_dev_niosII_standard.jdi 

perl: warning: Setting locale failed. 

perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings: 

LC_ALL = (unset), 

LANG = "C.UTF-8" 

are supported and installed on your system. 

perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C"). 

Can't locate sh_launch.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /cygdrive/c/altera/11.0/nios2e 

/bin C:/PROGRA~1/MKS/Toolkit/etc/perl/lib C:/PROGRA~1/MKS/Toolkit/etc/perl/lib C 

:/PROGRA~1/MKS/Toolkit/etc/perl/lib/site_perl C:/PROGRA~1/MKS/Toolkit/reskit/etc 

/perl/lib/i386 .) at C:\altera\11.0\nios2eds\bin\nios2-stackreport.pl line 1. 

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:\altera\11.0\nios2eds\bin\nios2-stackrepo 

rt.pl line 1. 

make: *** [hello_0.elf] Error 2 

make: *** Deleting file `hello_0.elf' 

I have no idea how to begin debugging this. I just commented out the last line from nios2-stackreport and the build completes succesfully. I know this work around is going to come back to haunt me later, but it will do for now. Here are the contents of sh_pl.sh 

# !/bin/sh 

PERL5LIB=`cygpath -u "$SOPC_KIT_NIOS2/bin"` perl "${SH_PL:-$0.pl}" $@ 

Hopefully this step is not too important, and leaving it out won't affect my build.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Some observations - not that they probably affect your problem! 

Those scripts probably shouldn't be assuming that $0 contains the absolute path of the script. If a unix kernel processes the# ! it has to set $0 to something the process can open to get the script (which is why it is usually the full path), but the actual contents aren't well defined - it can be /dev/fd/n. 

The $@ should be "$@" in both scripts - otherwise the parameters are subject to field splitting (bad news if there are any embedded spaces). 

Might be worth setting LANG=C before running perl.
0 Kudos