Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12596 Discussions

Trouble getting NIOS II Software Build Tools to work on Ubuntu

WGall3
Beginner

I am attempting to get the Software Build Tools for the NIOS II processor working on my machine.

Some details:

OS is Ubuntu 18.04

Quartus is version 19.1.0 Lite

On previous versions of Quartus it appears that the NIOS SBT were installed with the full Quartus installation. I simply went the tools menu in Quartus and clicked on the NIOS II Software Build Tools for Eclipse option to bring up the Eclipse environment without any issues.

According to this link it appears that NIOS SBT for Eclipse no longer comes with full installation.

https://www.intel.com/content/altera-www/global/en_us/index/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/tools/2019/why-does-the-nios--ii-not-installed-after-full-installation-of-t.html

I have attempted to follow the instructions in the link above. Steps 1 - 3 work well. The difficulty begins with step 4. I do not have the file eclipse_nios2_plugins.zip (or tar.gz). Is it supposed to be in the downloaded file, eclipse-cpp-mars-2-linux-gtk-x86_64.tar.gz?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Will

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

The file should be in the CDT file that required to be downloaded at the 1st step.

Please let me know if you still cannot get it.

Regards,

0 Kudos
GHelb
Novice

The tgz/zip file is installed with Quartus 19.1 - it is NOT in the CDT file!

You'll find it in <install>/nios2eds/bin - the folder that you extracted eclipse to, and you can just "extract to current folder".

GHelb
Novice

That was not the question. My statement was that you were having the Original Poster look in the wrong place for the file. I got it installed - that's how I knew where to find the file.

A real question is: "Why wasn't the addition of NIOS functions added to eclipse the proper way?". The recommended way is a well defined and commonly used: "Help -> Install New Software -> Archive...". Intel should deliver it as a archive so it can be installed correctly!

But it doesn't really matter - platform designer needs to get fixed first.

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

Thanks for your recommendations. I agree with you. I've created an internal ticket to escalate your concerns. Can you please explain any workaround you made to get this working fine?

Regards,

0 Kudos
GHelb
Novice

AhmedH_Intel : Can you please explain any workaround you made to get this working fine?

I have not found a workaround that gets this working fine. I currently use a shell script that sets all the environment variables before calling eclipse. I can make progress, but it is not "working fine".

I also believe that you are replying to a question I asked in a different thread. Perhaps put your response there?

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for your reply,

I will attach your reply to the internal ticket to get it fixed.

I recommend you to use the 18.1 version, please let me know if you cannot move to Quartus 18.1

0 Kudos
atrain
Beginner

I am having the same issue as the OP. 

So does this mean the correct plugin files all come installed? I don't see a eclipse_nios2_plugins.zip file anywhere in the download.

Anyone know? @GHelb, @WGall3

Also, looks like these instructions have been wrong for a year and a half now. Please fix them. 

https://www.intel.es/content/www/es/es/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/tools/2019/why-does-the-nios--ii-not-installed-after-full-installation-of-t.html?wapkw=installation+guides

0 Kudos
GHelb
Novice

The eclipse bundle is not part of the download - it's part of the install.

Version 18.1 comes with a version of eclipse with the NIOS tools pre-installed.

Version 19.1 does not include eclipse - you down load it directly.

After you install 19.1 the NIOS plugins archive (zip, tgz - whatever is appropriate) can be found in the <install>/nios2eds/bin folder.

Gary.

0 Kudos
ksi
Beginner

Is the file eclipse_nios2_plugins.zip  available?

0 Kudos