Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12603 Discussions

Trying to compile linux for Cyclone V Soc dev board - errors

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I all, I get the following errors when I am following the steps on http://www.rocketboards.org/foswiki/documentation/alterasocdevelopmentboardyoctogettingstarted 

ERROR: Failed to obtain external Linaro toolchain version: Execution of '/opt/altera-linux/linaro/gcc-linaro-arm-linux-gnueabihf-4.7-2012.11-20121123_linux/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc -v' failed: command not found 

ERROR: Failed to obtain external Linaro toolchain version: Execution of '/opt/altera-linux/linaro/gcc-linaro-arm-linux-gnueabihf-4.7-2012.11-20121123_linux/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc -v' failed: command not found 

ERROR: Execution of event handler 'external_linaro_toolchain_version_handler' failed 

Traceback (most recent call last): 

File "external_linaro_toolchain_version_handler(e)", line 12, in external_linaro_toolchain_version_handler(e=<bb.event.ConfigParsed object at 0x3b5ee50>) 

File "external-linaro-toolchain-versions.inc", line 4, in elt_get_gdb_version(d=<bb.data_smart.DataSmart object at 0x2aed510>) 

NameError: global name 'CmdError' is not defined 

WARNING: Host distribution "Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS" has not been validated with this version of the build system; you may possibly experience unexpected failures. It is recommended that you use a tested distribution. 

As far as I can tell, the paths it says it cannot find do exist. When I am in the correct directory, and run any files here, it tells me the file doesnt exist - odd that given its in the file list... 

I have Ubuntu running on a VM inside windows.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

ahh scratch that - I didnt have the 32 bit libraries installed!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

ahh scratch that - I didnt have the 32 bit libraries installed! 

--- Quote End ---  

I encountered the same error. Can you please tell me which 32 bit libraries you're referring to? I was following the instructions from this site (http://www.rocketboards.org/foswiki/documentation/alterasocdevelopmentboardyoctogettingstarted) where I encountered the error. I'm using the SocKit board. Am I doing the right thing? 

I have added a screenshot and the log.txt (copied from console) of the error for you reference.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

running: 

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs 

got rid of the errors.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Now when I run the next steps on the same website: 

source ~/yocto/altera-init ~/yocto/build 

all I get is the following error: