Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12434 Discussions

Trying to compile linux for Cyclone V Soc dev board - errors

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I all, I get the following errors when I am following the steps on http://www.rocketboards.org/foswiki/documentation/alterasocdevelopmentboardyoctogettingstarted 

ERROR: Failed to obtain external Linaro toolchain version: Execution of '/opt/altera-linux/linaro/gcc-linaro-arm-linux-gnueabihf-4.7-2012.11-20121123_linux/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc -v' failed: command not found 

ERROR: Failed to obtain external Linaro toolchain version: Execution of '/opt/altera-linux/linaro/gcc-linaro-arm-linux-gnueabihf-4.7-2012.11-20121123_linux/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc -v' failed: command not found 

ERROR: Execution of event handler 'external_linaro_toolchain_version_handler' failed 

Traceback (most recent call last): 

File "external_linaro_toolchain_version_handler(e)", line 12, in external_linaro_toolchain_version_handler(e=<bb.event.ConfigParsed object at 0x3b5ee50>) 

File "external-linaro-toolchain-versions.inc", line 4, in elt_get_gdb_version(d=<bb.data_smart.DataSmart object at 0x2aed510>) 

NameError: global name 'CmdError' is not defined 

WARNING: Host distribution "Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS" has not been validated with this version of the build system; you may possibly experience unexpected failures. It is recommended that you use a tested distribution. 

As far as I can tell, the paths it says it cannot find do exist. When I am in the correct directory, and run any files here, it tells me the file doesnt exist - odd that given its in the file list... 

I have Ubuntu running on a VM inside windows.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

ahh scratch that - I didnt have the 32 bit libraries installed!

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

ahh scratch that - I didnt have the 32 bit libraries installed! 

--- Quote End ---  

I encountered the same error. Can you please tell me which 32 bit libraries you're referring to? I was following the instructions from this site (http://www.rocketboards.org/foswiki/documentation/alterasocdevelopmentboardyoctogettingstarted) where I encountered the error. I'm using the SocKit board. Am I doing the right thing? 

I have added a screenshot and the log.txt (copied from console) of the error for you reference.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

running: 

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs 

got rid of the errors.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Now when I run the next steps on the same website: 

source ~/yocto/altera-init ~/yocto/build 

all I get is the following error: 

ZSH_NAME: Undefined variable. 

Any ideas?