Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12452 Discussions

Two NIOS2 sharing the same SDRAM for instruction/data master

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello i made a system using C and the memory program is around 2~4MB, it isn't going to fit inside an onchip memory, i am also using a second NIOS2 with Linux inside a 128MB sdram. 

How can i use the same SDRAM for both NIOS2 instruction/data masters? I am using a DE2-70 board which has two 64MB SDRAM memories, and, in my first step i could instantiate two 64mb SDRAM memories@QSys and use one for each. 

But in my final system i will have just one SDRAM memory so i need to learn how to do this.. 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I designed a similar 2 CPU / 1 SDRAM system (not Nios) a few years ago. 

So, you can surely design a system with two Nios processors and a single shared sdram device, but you must be aware of these points: 

- sdram accesses will be shared between the two processors, so the running applications could suffer great performance decrement; the actual performance will depend on several factors, i.e. number of sdram accesses, arbitration priorities and cache usage. 

- you must carefully instruct the linker to place memory sections into proper sdram areas in order to avoid overlapping and consequent data/code corruption. 

I think the first point is the major issure. I'd suggest you keep the more program code you can in onchip memory, along with stack and often-accessed data. 

Move into sdram only non time-critical parts and bulk data or seldom accessed data.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Cris72 how can i move only part of my program to a sdram? 

Just to remember, one of my NIOS2's program is a mmu-linux and the other is a simple elf application
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sorry, I don't know anything about mmu-linux, since I never used it. 

For normal Nios application, a simple method is using the __attribute__ directive after the function/variable definition you want to place in a specific memory. 

For example, if your code defaults to onchip_ram and you want function ext_function to be mapped to ext_sdram, you define it: 

int ext_function(int param) __attribute__ ((section (".ext_sdram"))); 

This is convenient if you only need to move a few functions to the alternate memory device. 

If you need something more advanced (i.e. remapping a whole library module or all symbols of a set of .c files), you'd better use a custom linker script file. 

In your case you need to move symbols to sdram but you also need to specify where, in order to avoid overlap, as I said before. So I believe the linker script method is mandatory.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You'll also need to stop the linux system using the physical sdram that your 'simple' C program is using.