Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Two processors with onchip memory

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am developing a project with two processors and I'm just trying to send data from pc to master cpu through uart and then from master send that data to slave cpu and then back to pc though the uart. Do I need two different systems within quartus, should I be using subsystems, or would one system be functional with two cpu's and onchip-memory? Basically one processor should read and the other write. How can I do this without a mutex core. I've tried multiple methods without success.  

Any help is appreciated.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think can useing dual-port RAM and one system be functional with two cpu's and onchip-memory.one processor read and the another write,building address map and through interrput inform another CPUs.I now used.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the reply. Can you elaborate more on the dual-port RAM please. Also, with one system and having two cpu's along with two uarts and onchip memory all within the same qsys, shouldn't I be able to send data through the uart to cpu1 and then have cpu1 send that data to cpu2 and back to pc with the uart? That loop works with one cpu but when I add both I don't get anything back on pc. Within eclipse I can see that the letters are being transmitted when I'm sending using tera term but don't see anything back. And I believe the firmware within quartus is correct with my board. I'm using the uart registers to wait for character and then transmit. 

Any help is appreciated.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Solved with using one system that contains two processors each with its own memory.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

you are right!! Congratulation!

0 Kudos