Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12435 Discussions

U-Boot for Nios2 on DE2-115 Board with MMC/SPI support

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello again, 

i am trying to compile U-Boot for my DE2-115 board. I was able to compile U-Boot and run it on the Board, but now I want to add MMC/SPI support. 

I added: 

# define CONFIG_CMD_MMC# define CONFIG_ALTERA_SPI  

I am getting Errors when typing make: 

common/built-in.o: In function `do_mmc': /home/jan/nios2-linux/nios2-linux/u-boot/common/cmd_mmc.c:33: undefined reference to `mmc_legacy_init' /home/jan/nios2-linux/nios2-linux/u-boot/common/cmd_mmc.c:33: relocation truncated to fit: R_NIOS2_CALL26 against `mmc_legacy_init'  

I also tried to follow the instructions on the Altera-Wiki (http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/u-boot_and_cyclone_ii-de2_boards#sd_card_over_spi_protocol), but they are very old and theme not to work with U-Boot 2015.04-rc1. 

Not even after reading this Thread (http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24872

Can anyone please tell me how to do this? 

With best regards, 

Jan
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am trying to port U-boot to DE2-115 board. Am new to Altera. Can you tell how to start? please help

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Jan 

I am trying to build Uboot for Nios2 also. No luck but I have learned 

a few things.  

Uboot configuration for nios2 has changed significantly. 

The Alter-Wiki is way out of date. It didn't work for me either. 

There is a special git repo for nios2 at git://git.denx.de/u-boot-nios.git. 

Uboot is moving to Kconfig and Make files - i.e. "boards.cfg" is deprecated.  

This explains why I did not find "boards.cfg" after git cloning. 

I tried the following on Linux bash. 

> git clone git://git.denx.de/u-boot-nios.git 

> cd u-boot-nios/ 

> make menuconfig 

These proceeding steps complete with no visible errors or warnings. Make menuconfig 

has a lot of configuration options - it may support what you are trying to do.  

You can also run > make config and you'll get many, many configuration choices.  

Then I run 

> make all 

This step fails for me with the following error 

LD arch/nios2/cpu/built-in.o 

/bin/sh: nios2-elf-ld.bfd: command not found 

scripts/Makefile.build:354: recipe for target 'arch/nios2/cpu/built-in.o' failed 

make[1]: *** [arch/nios2/cpu/built-in.o] Error 127 

Makefile:1037: recipe for target 'arch/nios2/cpu' failed 

make: *** [arch/nios2/cpu] Error 2 

I confirmed that both 'nios2-elf-gcc' and 'nios2-elf-ld' are in the path and are executable.  

And since I have been running Nios2 successfully on Linux this should indicate my 'nios2-elf-gcc' and 'nios2-elf-ld' 

should be OK. It appears the compile completed but the nios2 linker is not found. 

Just a heads-up that have been some big changes for the steps required for building Uboot for nios2.  

Sorry, but I have not found any up-to-date build instructions either.  

Dave
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Jan 

I am trying to build Uboot for Nios2 also. No luck but I have learned 

a few things.  

Uboot configuration for nios2 has changed significantly. 

The Alter-Wiki is way out of date. It didn't work for me either. 

There is a special git repo for nios2 at git://git.denx.de/u-boot-nios.git. 

Uboot is moving to Kconfig and Make files - i.e. "boards.cfg" is deprecated.  

This explains why I did not find "boards.cfg" after git cloning. 

I tried the following on Linux bash. 

> git clone git://git.denx.de/u-boot-nios.git 

> cd u-boot-nios/ 

> make menuconfig 

These proceeding steps complete with no visible errors or warnings. Make menuconfig 

has a lot of configuration options - it may support what you are trying to do.  

You can also run > make config and you'll get many, many configuration choices.  

Then I run 

> make all 

This step fails for me with the following error 

LD arch/nios2/cpu/built-in.o 

/bin/sh: nios2-elf-ld.bfd: command not found 

scripts/Makefile.build:354: recipe for target 'arch/nios2/cpu/built-in.o' failed 

make[1]: *** [arch/nios2/cpu/built-in.o] Error 127 

Makefile:1037: recipe for target 'arch/nios2/cpu' failed 

make: *** [arch/nios2/cpu] Error 2 

I confirmed that both 'nios2-elf-gcc' and 'nios2-elf-ld' are in the path and are executable.  

And since I have been running Nios2 successfully on Linux this should indicate my 'nios2-elf-gcc' and 'nios2-elf-ld' 

should be OK. It appears the compile completed but the nios2 linker is not found. 

Just a heads-up that have been some big changes for the steps required for building Uboot for nios2.  

Sorry, but I have not found any up-to-date build instructions either.  

Dave 

--- Quote End ---  

To solve the problem of not finding the linker - I had to set the CROSS_COMPILE environment variable 

using these bash commands.  

> CROSS_COMPILE=nios2-elf- 

> export CROSS_COMPILE 

Then run make and the build completed with no errors. 

(Now, I need to try to load and test on my nios2 hardware). 

THIS WAS documented in the README file starting at line 4929. So I deserve a 

"RTFM idiot". BTW, the README file has 6515 lines.  

But no doubt - the Uboot build steps for nios2 (on Linux) after cloning the current git repo 

- have changed substantially. Just for starters, the Altera Wiki said you only need to set CROSS_COMPILE 

if NOT using the packaged nios2-elf-gcc compiler. So when I did not set this environment variable - I  

received the link error. So, technically speaking - the nios2-elf-gcc was found without setting CROSS_COMPILE, 

but the linker was NOT found. And the 'boards.cfg' file does NOT exist in the recent git repo. I was able to build  

successfully without this file.  

Dave