Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

UART Test ISSUE (LOOPBACk)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi, 

I am using Altera Quartus 10.1 SP1, NIOS SBT 10.1 SP1 and ModelSim Altera Starter Edition 6.6D. I am trying to implement UART in SOPC and write a NIOS sample code and test it using ModelSim. 

I built SOPC using UART, NIOS and Memory and generated sopcinfo files. After that created ELF by using this sopcinfo and launched in modelsim. What ever i print on console is reflecting on TXD line and i tried to loopback TXD to RXd but i unable to see any data in RXD Buffer[Serial to parallel converter]. Data is available on RXD line. Is there any other setting i need to do in order to test Loopback UART??? 

Please help in testing of UART LoopBack.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, which FPGA are you using? I am using the Cyclone V SoC and trying to assign the UART_RX and UART_TX signals to "special function" pins, but I am unable to do so.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have used the UART with the Cyclone V Terasic development board and it works fine. I have to find my files.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you look in the UART code created (by SOPC builder / QSYS) you might find there are two transmitters one is the real transmitter and the other is a stimulus source for rxd. You can go in and hack the connection to connect txd and rxd:- 

Have a look for some lines like this:- 

// assign source_rxd = rxd; 

and uncomment to become 

assign source_rxd = rxd; 

and also find the stimulus_transmitter and disconnect the txd output 

so change from 

.txd (source_rxd) 

to 

.txd ()