Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

UART Test ISSUE (LOOPBACk)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi, 

I am using Altera Quartus 10.1 SP1, NIOS SBT 10.1 SP1 and ModelSim Altera Starter Edition 6.6D. I am trying to implement UART in SOPC and write a NIOS sample code and test it using ModelSim. 

I built SOPC using UART, NIOS and Memory and generated sopcinfo files. After that created ELF by using this sopcinfo and launched in modelsim. What ever i print on console is reflecting on TXD line and i tried to loopback TXD to RXd but i unable to see any data in RXD Buffer[Serial to parallel converter]. Data is available on RXD line. Is there any other setting i need to do in order to test Loopback UART??? 

Please help in testing of UART LoopBack.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, which FPGA are you using? I am using the Cyclone V SoC and trying to assign the UART_RX and UART_TX signals to "special function" pins, but I am unable to do so.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have used the UART with the Cyclone V Terasic development board and it works fine. I have to find my files.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you look in the UART code created (by SOPC builder / QSYS) you might find there are two transmitters one is the real transmitter and the other is a stimulus source for rxd. You can go in and hack the connection to connect txd and rxd:- 

Have a look for some lines like this:- 

// assign source_rxd = rxd; 

and uncomment to become 

assign source_rxd = rxd; 

and also find the stimulus_transmitter and disconnect the txd output 

so change from 

.txd (source_rxd) 

to 

.txd ()
0 Kudos