Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

UART encoding issues

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I am using the Cyclone V SoC UART0 and I can transmit to my PC and read strings just fine. However when I am reading the UART in my baremetal application, the received characters don't match ASCII encoding. So far it looks like this: 

I send from Realterm: What I read in UART register: 

'A' ------------------------0x01 0x1D 

'B' ------------------------0x02 0x1D 

'C' ------------------------0x03 0x1D 

'Z' ------------------------0x1A 0x1D 

I have no clue what kind f encoding this is and I can't map the bits in any way to actual ASCII values. 

Any help appreciated!
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

SOLVED! 

OK, Altera's SoCFPGA-hardwareLib-FPGA-CV-ARMCC reference design which I was using had left the UART to use FIVE BITS PER SERIAL WORD. As I was getting all the initialization messages from the UART to the terminal just fine I assumed the source had initialized the UART all fine. But now I have set LCR[1:0] to use eight bits per word and its fine!