Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

UART with DMA

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I am very new to Altera and Cyclone V. 

I need to communicate using the UART 16550 on Cyclone V using DMA as the speed requirement is 5 MB/s. 

I happen to see the below link which explains about this:  

https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/cyclone-v/cv_54016.pdf 

Topic 21 explains about UART and DMA in it.  

I was able to make the UART work with 16550. But i am not sure what should be modified to make the DMA work on it.  

But if I could an example of DMA and UART, it would be easier for me to do the necessary modifications to integrate DMA on it. Can somebody help to give an example or some link which could help me. 

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi all, 

I am very new to Altera and Cyclone V. 

I need to communicate using the UART 16550 on Cyclone V using DMA as the speed requirement is 5 MB/s. 

I happen to see the below link which explains about this:  

https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/cyclone-v/cv_54016.pdf 

Topic 21 explains about UART and DMA in it.  

I was able to make the UART work with 16550. But i am not sure what should be modified to make the DMA work on it.  

But if I could an example of DMA and UART, it would be easier for me to do the necessary modifications to integrate DMA on it. Can somebody help to give an example or some link which could help me. 

Thanks in advance. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi,  

I am trying to get the UART1 in cyclone V working. I have enabled the option in Qsys as FPGA for UART1, and routed the Tx and Rx pins to GPIO_0 pins.  

However, any write to UART1 does not produce any change in signal at the GPIO pins. i use the following coomand - echo 0xFF < /dev/ttyS1 to check the UART.  

I am running Angstrom and using the modified GHRD project. 

could you let me know, how you got it working ?
0 Kudos