Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12455 Discussions

UART0 register access from System Console

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can someone tell me how to access the HPS UART0 peripheral registers using the System Console? My setup: 

• Custom board with Cyclone V SoC 

• Boot all from SD (SPL, U-boot, Linux) 

I do not see any characters coming out of the HPS UART0 TX pin. I was hoping to be able to "bit bang" the UART registers to force a character to be transmitted. The only way I know to do this is using the System Console. My problem is that I can't figure out what address it is at with respect to the f2h_axi_slave. In my Qsys system, I have instantiated a "JTAG to Avalon Master Bridge" and connected its master port to the f2h_axi_slave port of the HPS instantiation.  

I have read through the System Interconnect section of the Cyclone V Handbook which provides a memory map. It says the peripherals should be in the range 0xff40_0000 to 0xfffd_0000, and the UART Controller section of the doc says it should be at 0xffc0_2000. However, when I read this location (128 words) in System Console, I see all zeros. Can I not access the HPS peripherals from the f2h_axi_slave port? The doc says it should be accessible.  

I am able to read the FPGA peripherals though, like the SysID register. I get the right value back, so I can see I have access to the h2f_lw_axi_master port via the f2h_axi_slave port.
0 Kudos
0 Replies