Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

USB on altera DE2 board

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm working on usb communication on the Altera DE2 kit, have to follow the instructions on the wiki NIOS, the source linux I used is 20090808 

sytem_0. ptf file from vga mouse host projects in DE2_system DE2 CD 

first make,download and boot then detect the hub 1-0: 2 ports detected 

the second,with the above zImage, download and boot it can't detect usb hub 1-0: 1 port detected 

i don't understand why this error 

I followed the instructions on the forum is how to skip clock = check immediately return 1 after variable declaration in the function file hc_reset of isp1362-hcd.c but still not detect the usb  

Who solved this problem can you help me? 

static int isp1362_hc_reset(struct usb_hcd *hcd) { int ret = 0; struct isp1362_hcd *isp1362_hcd = hcd_to_isp1362_hcd(hcd); unsigned long t; unsigned long timeout = 100; unsigned long flags; int clkrdy = 0; ret=1; pr_info("%s:\n", __func__); if (isp1362_hcd->board && isp1362_hcd->board->reset) { isp1362_hcd->board->reset(hcd->self.controller, 1); msleep(20); if (isp1362_hcd->board->clock) isp1362_hcd->board->clock(hcd->self.controller, 1); isp1362_hcd->board->reset(hcd->self.controller, 0); } else isp1362_sw_reset(isp1362_hcd); /* chip has been reset. First we need to see a clock */ t = jiffies + msecs_to_jiffies(timeout); while (!clkrdy && time_before_eq(jiffies, t)) { spin_lock_irqsave(&isp1362_hcd->lock, flags); clkrdy = isp1362_read_reg16(isp1362_hcd, HCuPINT) & HCuPINT_CLKRDY; spin_unlock_irqrestore(&isp1362_hcd->lock, flags); if (!clkrdy) msleep(4); } spin_lock_irqsave(&isp1362_hcd->lock, flags); isp1362_write_reg16(isp1362_hcd, HCuPINT, HCuPINT_CLKRDY); spin_unlock_irqrestore(&isp1362_hcd->lock, flags); //if (!clkrdy) { if (clkrdy) { //end of edit pr_err("Clock not ready after %lums\n", timeout); ret = -ENODEV; } return ret; }
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

, the source linux I used is 20090808 

--- Quote End ---  

Much too old to be supported by anybody. 

You need to upgrade using the current git files. 

-Michael
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

@ mschnell : 

I see the latest version source nios linux on the nios ftp is nioslinux 20100621, can i use this source or need to run command "./update"?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sorry, I not working actively with NIOS any more, so I am not knowledgeable regarding the latest proceedings.  

-Michael
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i used file sytem_0.ptf from DE2_NIOS_HOST_MOUSE_VGA on DE2_SytemCD.v1.6,  

the OS is Ubuntu 10.10 

version quartus 9.1sp1 & nios ide 9.1 on Window to download zImage and boot 

I read instructions on USBHost (altera wiki) 

use ISP1362_CTRL.v to create new components named "ISP1362" , 

set setup time,hold time... = 100 ns,  

add 2 interfaces interrupt sender & interrupt sender to avalon_slave_0 & interrupt_sender_1 to avalon_slave_1, set NATIVE on avalon slave_0 &1, set type "irq_n" 

set OTG_signal to " conduit-end" and their types are "export" 

then complete this component, I add it to sopc, name "ISP1362" 

But have no effect, still detect 1 port hub1-0, who can supported me to solve this problem? 

I'm not good at English, sorry
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I solved this problem, after downloaded file .sof to board, you should press KEY0 (reset) 

then i downloaded zImage and boot : 

detected 2 port and could access file on USB http://nj5.upanh.com/b5.s3.d1/ebaca0ea474ef479baf99cc2677fb488_42190205.untitled.jpg