Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12420 Discussions

USB setup for Linux on Arrow Sockit

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've installed the GSRD 14, I've built my FPGA core and I've got them communicating. 

Next I need to get some keyboard input. So I bought a USB OTG to USB adaptor. I've plugged in the keyboard but Linux does not appear to recognise it. I see these in dmesg: 

usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfsusbcore: registered new interface driver hub 

usbcore: registered new device driver usb 

usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage 

usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid 

usbhid: USB HID core driver 

However the rest does not seem to be set up: 

>lsusb 

unable to initialize libusb: -99 

>ls /dev/bus/usb 

ls: /dev/bus/usb: No such file or directory 

>ls /proc/bus/usb 

ls: /proc/bus/usb: No such file or directory 

I also see nothing in dmesg when connecting/disconnecting devices. 

Should this work with the default kernel? Or do I need to build my own to get this working? 

I saw other distributions with USB mouse/keyboard etc, though these seem to also need the FPGA side configured for video. I have my own FPGA side configuration. 

Any tips greatly appreciated! I might go any try one of the 'full computer' style distributions to at least check my board/cable works in the meantime...
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Just to be clear is no-one replying because this is a stupid question and I should know better/RTFM? Or has no-one actually got USB working with the GSRD standard install? 

I've come to the conclusion I need to rebuild the kernel with some additional options enabled/modules. Unfortunately altera yocto requires an old version of Debian - Jessie is too new. I tried to build it anyway but there is just too much to patch to be practical.  

Its kind of funny because I've been working much lower level - with zpu soft core and usb using the usbhostslave from open cores. Bizarrely it is much simpler to make that work just driving the d+/d- than it is to get USB working in the SOCkit from linux!