Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Uart Baud Rate Drop

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all 

I'm currently facing a somehow strange effect on my custom SoC Board (incl. a Cyclone V SX --> 5CSXFC2C6U23C8(N)).  

While the preloader and uboot are running (at the moment initialized by the DS-5 Debugger over JTAG) I can verify them by UART prompt (8-N-1, baud 115200). As soon as I kill the connection and start my bare metal application (In this case a simple hello world printing via printf (-DPRINTF_UART used for the compile) I receive garbage on the prompt.  

So far I have verified the baud rate during the boot process with a oscilloscope --> baud = 116100 Hz (guess +/-3% are ok!) 

When I measure the frequency while the bare metal application prints I see a frequency of: baud = 92000 Hz 

This is somehow strange as the baud rate is defined by a divisor and the L4_SP_clk frequency (100MHz) which in my opinion are not changing between those two processes. I also tested the exact same setup with the Cyclone V Soc Development Board and never saw any of this happen.  

Has anyone experienced some similar situations? Please let me know if you need more information!  

Best 

Stefan
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Stefan, 

You should double check the PLL and divisors settings for the L4 clock. 

This looks to me when you use DS5, a different spl gets loaded, and its L4 setting are not the same ones as U-Boot. 

Regards
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Eric, 

Thank you for your reply.  

I'm actually using the spl and the u-boot image from the same compile (by using the commands "make all" and "make uboot") and both are loaded via DS-5 since the SD-card seems to fail. 

How can I check on the L4 settings (except the ones I can set in Qsys) and the divisors? I guess it has to be somewhere in the spl / uboot src code but I've only found the settings in socfpga_common.h: 

* * L4 OSC1 Timer 0 */ /* This timer use eosc1 where the clock frequency is fixed * throughout any condition */# define CONFIG_SYS_TIMERBASE SOCFPGA_OSC1TIMER0_ADDRESS /* reload value when timer count to zero */# define TIMER_LOAD_VAL 0xFFFFFFFF /* Timer info */# define CONFIG_SYS_HZ 1000 /* Clocks source frequency to timer */# if defined(CONFIG_SOCFPGA_VIRTUAL_TARGET)# define CONFIG_TIMER_CLOCK_KHZ 2400# else /* Preloader and U-Boot need to know the clock source frequency from handoff*/# define CONFIG_TIMER_CLOCK_KHZ (CONFIG_HPS_CLK_OSC1_HZ / 1000)# endif  

The EOSC1 frequency is running on a 20MHz quartz (in comparison to the Development board where it is running at 25MHz). 

EDIT: 

While reading the pll_config.h file I found the following settings: 

# ifndef _PRELOADER_PLL_CONFIG_H_# define _PRELOADER_PLL_CONFIG_H_ # define CONFIG_HPS_DBCTRL_STAYOSC1 (1) # define CONFIG_HPS_MAINPLLGRP_VCO_DENOM (0)# define CONFIG_HPS_MAINPLLGRP_VCO_NUMER (59)# define CONFIG_HPS_MAINPLLGRP_MPUCLK_CNT (0)# define CONFIG_HPS_MAINPLLGRP_MAINCLK_CNT (0)# define CONFIG_HPS_MAINPLLGRP_DBGATCLK_CNT (0)# define CONFIG_HPS_MAINPLLGRP_MAINQSPICLK_CNT (511)# define CONFIG_HPS_MAINPLLGRP_MAINNANDSDMMCCLK_CNT (511)# define CONFIG_HPS_MAINPLLGRP_CFGS2FUSER0CLK_CNT (11)# define CONFIG_HPS_MAINPLLGRP_MAINDIV_L3MPCLK (1)# define CONFIG_HPS_MAINPLLGRP_MAINDIV_L3SPCLK (1)# define CONFIG_HPS_MAINPLLGRP_MAINDIV_L4MPCLK (0)# define CONFIG_HPS_MAINPLLGRP_MAINDIV_L4SPCLK (0)# define CONFIG_HPS_MAINPLLGRP_DBGDIV_DBGATCLK (0)# define CONFIG_HPS_MAINPLLGRP_DBGDIV_DBGCLK (1)# define CONFIG_HPS_MAINPLLGRP_TRACEDIV_TRACECLK (0)# define CONFIG_HPS_MAINPLLGRP_L4SRC_L4MP (1)# define CONFIG_HPS_MAINPLLGRP_L4SRC_L4SP (1) # define CONFIG_HPS_PERPLLGRP_VCO_DENOM (0)# define CONFIG_HPS_PERPLLGRP_VCO_NUMER (49)# define CONFIG_HPS_PERPLLGRP_VCO_PSRC (0)# define CONFIG_HPS_PERPLLGRP_EMAC0CLK_CNT (511)# define CONFIG_HPS_PERPLLGRP_EMAC1CLK_CNT (511)# define CONFIG_HPS_PERPLLGRP_PERQSPICLK_CNT (511)# define CONFIG_HPS_PERPLLGRP_PERNANDSDMMCCLK_CNT (4)# define CONFIG_HPS_PERPLLGRP_PERBASECLK_CNT (9)# define CONFIG_HPS_PERPLLGRP_S2FUSER1CLK_CNT (511)# define CONFIG_HPS_PERPLLGRP_DIV_USBCLK (4)# define CONFIG_HPS_PERPLLGRP_DIV_SPIMCLK (4)# define CONFIG_HPS_PERPLLGRP_DIV_CAN0CLK (4)# define CONFIG_HPS_PERPLLGRP_DIV_CAN1CLK (4)# define CONFIG_HPS_PERPLLGRP_GPIODIV_GPIODBCLK (3124)# define CONFIG_HPS_PERPLLGRP_SRC_SDMMC (2)# define CONFIG_HPS_PERPLLGRP_SRC_NAND (2)# define CONFIG_HPS_PERPLLGRP_SRC_QSPI (1) # define CONFIG_HPS_SDRPLLGRP_VCO_DENOM (0)# define CONFIG_HPS_SDRPLLGRP_VCO_NUMER (15)# define CONFIG_HPS_SDRPLLGRP_VCO_SSRC (0)# define CONFIG_HPS_SDRPLLGRP_DDRDQSCLK_CNT (1)# define CONFIG_HPS_SDRPLLGRP_DDRDQSCLK_PHASE (0)# define CONFIG_HPS_SDRPLLGRP_DDR2XDQSCLK_CNT (0)# define CONFIG_HPS_SDRPLLGRP_DDR2XDQSCLK_PHASE (0)# define CONFIG_HPS_SDRPLLGRP_DDRDQCLK_CNT (1)# define CONFIG_HPS_SDRPLLGRP_DDRDQCLK_PHASE (4)# define CONFIG_HPS_SDRPLLGRP_S2FUSER2CLK_CNT (5)# define CONFIG_HPS_SDRPLLGRP_S2FUSER2CLK_PHASE (0) # define CONFIG_HPS_CLK_OSC1_HZ (20000000)# define CONFIG_HPS_CLK_OSC2_HZ (20000000)# define CONFIG_HPS_CLK_F2S_SDR_REF_HZ (0)# define CONFIG_HPS_CLK_F2S_PER_REF_HZ (0)# define CONFIG_HPS_CLK_MAINVCO_HZ (1200000000)# define CONFIG_HPS_CLK_PERVCO_HZ (1000000000)# define CONFIG_HPS_CLK_SDRVCO_HZ (320000000)# define CONFIG_HPS_CLK_EMAC0_HZ (1953125)# define CONFIG_HPS_CLK_EMAC1_HZ (1953125)# define CONFIG_HPS_CLK_USBCLK_HZ (6250000)# define CONFIG_HPS_CLK_NAND_HZ (50000000)# define CONFIG_HPS_CLK_SDMMC_HZ (200000000)# define CONFIG_HPS_CLK_QSPI_HZ (2343750)# define CONFIG_HPS_CLK_SPIM_HZ (6250000)# define CONFIG_HPS_CLK_CAN0_HZ (6250000)# define CONFIG_HPS_CLK_CAN1_HZ (6250000)# define CONFIG_HPS_CLK_GPIODB_HZ (32000)# define CONFIG_HPS_CLK_L4_MP_HZ (100000000)# define CONFIG_HPS_CLK_L4_SP_HZ (100000000) # define CONFIG_HPS_ALTERAGRP_MPUCLK (1)# define CONFIG_HPS_ALTERAGRP_MAINCLK (3)# define CONFIG_HPS_ALTERAGRP_DBGATCLK (3) # endif /* _PRELOADER_PLL_CONFIG_H_ */  

Have you been referring to that?  

Thanks again for your time, I really appreciate your help! 

Regards 

Stefan
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Stefan, 

Reading the Muxes, PLL & Divisor values directly from the clock manager registers will provide you with the exact UART clock frequency. 

If you have the hwLib, you can simplify this by using alt_clk_freq_get(): this function reads the clock manager registers and report the resulting clock frequency. 

Regards
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Stefan, 

make sure you set-up / build / use the correct external crystal frequency according to the target platform. 

You have 25 MHz and 20 MHz 

92160 == (115200 * 20) / 25 

Regards