Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Uart RS232 Nios 1

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

Im using the Apex20ke (EP20k600EBC652) board and i wanted to get familiar with the nios 1. So i create a nios processor and i added to it a ROM for GERMS on chip mem and a RAM on chip mem for the program. And i added two uarts RS232 uarts, a debug uart and one for the std.io. For this part i followed step by step the nios tutorial tt_nios_hw_apex_20k200e.pdf.  

So first question is : in my board i have just one RS232 DTE how can use it for the both uarts ? 

My second consern is when i tried just to use the debug Uart (nios Tx to the pin AF34 and nios RX to the pin AE34) and i typed the follwing: 

nb -b0x4000 hello_world.c 

and then 

nr -d hello_world.srec  

and after that i pressed the button mapped to the nios reset, i didnt get anything it seems that i couldnt upload the program to the board. It keeps displaying the dots.......
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I finely found out. The clock speed that i specified for the nios clock was different from the clock that used. And that's why the UART didnt work!! pretty simple right ! ? 

oh well ..  

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by linearb@Feb 11 2006, 03:29 AM 

hi,  

im using the apex20ke (ep20k600ebc652)  board and i wanted to get familiar with the nios 1. so i create a nios processor and i added to it a rom for germs on chip mem and a ram on chip mem for the program. and i added two uarts rs232 uarts, a debug uart and one for the std.io. for this part i followed step by step the nios tutorial tt_nios_hw_apex_20k200e.pdf.  

so first question is : in my board i have just one rs232 dte how can use it for the both uarts ? 

my second consern is when i tried just to use the debug uart (nios tx to the pin af34 and nios  rx to the pin ae34) and i typed the follwing: 

nb -b0x4000  hello_world.c 

and then 

nr -d hello_world.srec  

and after that i pressed the button mapped to the nios reset, i didnt get anything it seems that i couldnt upload the program to the board. it keeps displaying the dots....... 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=12684) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos