Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12408 Discussions

Ubuntu 13.04 : Can't connect to the Altera website to check for license file update

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I have just install Quartus II (32-bit Version Buid 178 05/31/2012 SJ Full Version) on my Ubuntu 13.04 and have the message "Warning (291002): Can't connect to the Altera website to check for license file updates -- check your Internet connection and/or browser settings" 

(and I have the "View New Quartus II information" button in red into Quartus II) 

=> what have I to make for to correct this ?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Note that I have already add "/usr/bin/firefox" into the Tools/Licence Setup/Internet Connectivity/Web Browser entry but always the same problem :( 

update : I have make a mv libstdc++.so.6 libstdc++.so.6_bck into the  

/opt/Altera/quartus/linux repertory (I have installed Quartus into /opt/Altera/quartus) 

=> now Firefox was automatically loaded when I ask a "Web Licence Update" but this is for to see a "Page not found" at Altera site :(  

(same thing with /usr/bin/chromium-browser as the browser) 

update 2 : I think that I don't have downloaded the good Quartus version because I see this into the /opt/altera/altera_installer_12.0.log  

Selected Features: ------------------ * Quartus II Subscription Edition (includes Nios II EDS) * ModelSim-Altera Starter Edition (Free)  

=> I test with the Quartus II Web Edition v13.0 instead ... 

But I really think that it's an error from Altera that to not directly provide the DVD into the box pack when we **BUY** the Nios II Embeded Evaluation Kit  

(instead to only provide one little paper page that say where we can download the Altera Complete Design Suite ...)
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I have dowload/install the Quartus II Web Edition v13.0.0 and rename libstdc++.so.6 to libstdc++.so.6_bck and this seem to work :) 

So, I have dowloaded the dave2_evalkit_2.7_altera-20130405.ziop file from TES and have tested to compile it ... 

=> Full Compilation was NOT successful (12 errors, 46 warnings :( 

I have this at the end of the compilation process : 

Error (292014): Can't find valid feature line for core DAVE2D (294F_D227) in current license Error (10003): Can't open encrypted VHDL or Verilog HDL file "/home/yannoo/Devel/FPGA/Altera/dave2_evalkit_2.7_altera-20130405/quartus/dave2/altera_3c25_neek/db/ip/altera_3c25_neek/submodules/dave2_enc.vhd" -- current license file does not contain a valid license for encrypted file Info (12021): Found 0 design units, including 0 entities, in source file db/ip/altera_3c25_neek/submodules/dave2_enc.vhd Error: Quartus II 32-bit Analysis & Synthesis was unsuccessful. 10 errors, 46 warnings Error: Peak virtual memory: 380 megabytes Error: Processing ended: Thu Jun 20 00:29:20 2013 Error: Elapsed time: 00:04:27 Error: Total CPU time (on all processors): 00:04:25 Error (293001): Quartus II Full Compilation was unsuccessful. 12 errors, 46 warnings  

=> where can I find a very basic/simple demo with some 2D (or better 3D) graphics outputs that don't need licence(s) ???  

(licences prices/limitations seem **REALLY** to be a big problem when we **ONLY** want to begin with FPGA devel on Altera products ...)