Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12453 Discussions

Ubuntu 13.04: Segmentation Fault during MegaWizard ALTDDIO_OUT creation

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hardware: DE2-115 development board (Cyclone IV) 

I'm trying to follow the Triple Speed Ethernet tutorial (I can't include the link, but it's "using_triple_speed_ethernet.pdf" on the Altera tutorials page) which has been without issue up until I try to create the ALTDDIO_OUT. I've launched Quartus from the terminal; when I open the MegaWizard Plugin Manager and select ALTDDIO_OUT, name the file and then click "Next", a window pops open for a moment, begins to load but exits early (Segmentation Fault printed to the terminal), and then I am returned to [page 2a]. 

Somebody posted something similar having issues with ALTPLL ... MegaWizard worked just fine when I generated the PLL, so I'm at a loss for why this is different. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm having this same problem. I'm running Quartus II v13.0 on a remote server. I can launch and create an ALTCLKCTRL and successfully create the megafunction.  

But I canNOT create the ALTDDIO_OUT. I get "Can't create the custom megafunction variation file(s)." error message along with an "Error in CNX file format".  

Can someone help?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I'm having this same problem. I'm running Quartus II v13.0 on a remote server. I can launch and create an ALTCLKCTRL and successfully create the megafunction.  

But I canNOT create the ALTDDIO_OUT. I get "Can't create the custom megafunction variation file(s)." error message along with an "Error in CNX file format".  

Can someone help? 

--- Quote End ---  

here's the failure sequence: 

I open a terminal window, issue this command: shell xxx/13.0/linux32 

Then issue: quartus & 

Quartus launches. I go to Tools -> MegaWizard -> Create new…. -> ALTDDIO_OUT -> enter name hit Next 

MegaWizard will not lauch. 

I get a couple of *cnx* files. My terminal window shows “Error: "Can't create the custom megafunction variation file(s)." error message along with an "Error in CNX file format". 

So I go into my desktop windows Quartus version, create the ALTDDIO_OUT function, copy the 4 verilog files (.qip, .v, _bb.v, inst.v) to my unix directory, instantiate the altddio_OUT in my Top Verilog design, hit compile, Quartus crashes/shuts down/core dump in terminal window. 

I’ve switched to “shell xxx/13.0/linux64, MegaWizard will now launch and create ALTDDIO_OUT.