Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Ukit's problem on FTP

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

When I copy file to /home/ftp directory it show error message "read-only file system". 

Then I used chmod to change the access permissions of the directory it also give error  

message "read-only file system". Pls would some body tell me what did I do wrong? 

Hawkins
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Romfs is read only, and you cannot put files to it through ftp. You can mount compact flash and put files to it.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Wentao, Ukit dont have compact flash, is there any round around? 

Hawkins
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can use a bigger ramdisk. Right now the /ramfs.img is very small, you can replace it with a bigger one. But this needs to re-generate the romfs image. 

An another alternative is to use nfs, if you have a Linux desktop. 

Regards, 

wentao
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can mount another ram disk at /home/ftp which is not read only (as is done for the /tmp and /var directories) which will allow you to have a small filespace to do transfers. You can look at the rc script in /etc/rc to see how this is done (first expand /ramfs.img to /dev/ram[2|3] then mount -n /dev/ram2 /home/ftp). You can also use the ext2 fs tools to manually format the ram drive (which is what the expand /ramfs.img is really doing if I'm not mistaken) which may allow you to eek out some more space by tuning the parameters to your typical use. I haven't personally needed to do this though. 

Tuck
0 Kudos