Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Ukit's problem on FTP

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

When I copy file to /home/ftp directory it show error message "read-only file system". 

Then I used chmod to change the access permissions of the directory it also give error  

message "read-only file system". Pls would some body tell me what did I do wrong? 

Hawkins
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Romfs is read only, and you cannot put files to it through ftp. You can mount compact flash and put files to it.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Thanks Wentao, Ukit dont have compact flash, is there any round around? 

Hawkins
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

You can use a bigger ramdisk. Right now the /ramfs.img is very small, you can replace it with a bigger one. But this needs to re-generate the romfs image. 

An another alternative is to use nfs, if you have a Linux desktop. 

Regards, 

wentao
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

You can mount another ram disk at /home/ftp which is not read only (as is done for the /tmp and /var directories) which will allow you to have a small filespace to do transfers. You can look at the rc script in /etc/rc to see how this is done (first expand /ramfs.img to /dev/ram[2|3] then mount -n /dev/ram2 /home/ftp). You can also use the ext2 fs tools to manually format the ram drive (which is what the expand /ramfs.img is really doing if I'm not mistaken) which may allow you to eek out some more space by tuning the parameters to your typical use. I haven't personally needed to do this though. 

Tuck