Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12435 Discussions

Unable to build "*.elf" file in NIOS II Eclipse.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All, 

I am novice in NIOS II Eclipse environment.  

To learn I am using the existing project and after compiling the nios project in Quartus. 

In order to generate the "*.elf" file, I created new project by pointing to "*nios_cpu.sopcinfo" file and added existing source file to the project. 

To build the project I am clicking on "build all" but NIOS II Eclipse environment is throwing error (Attached snapshot).  

console message  

info: linking test2.elf 

nios2-elf-g++ -t'../test2_bsp//linker.x' -msys-crt0='../test2_bsp//obj/hal/src/crt0.o' -msys-lib=hal_bsp -l../test2_bsp/ -wl,-map=test2.map -o0 -g -wall -mno-hw-div -mhw-mul -mno-hw-mulx -o test2.elf obj/default/dbc5cefa7_appl.o obj/default/aoeappl.o obj/default/bootmode.o obj/default/coeappl.o obj/default/db_nioshw.o obj/default/ecataoe.o obj/default/ecatappl.o obj/default/ecatcoe.o obj/default/ecatfoe.o obj/default/ecatslv.o obj/default/foeappl.o obj/default/mailbox.o obj/default/objdef.o obj/default/sdoserv.o -lm  

c:/altera/14.1/nios2eds/bin/gnu/h-x86_64-mingw32/bin/../lib/gcc/nios2-elf/4.8.3/../../../../../h-x86_64-mingw32/nios2-elf/bin/ld.exe: test2.elf section `.text' will not fit in region `onchip_memory' 

c:/altera/14.1/nios2eds/bin/gnu/h-x86_64-mingw32/bin/../lib/gcc/nios2-elf/4.8.3/../../../../../h-x86_64-mingw32/nios2-elf/bin/ld.exe: region `onchip_memory' overflowed by 93988 bytes 

collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status 

make: *** [test2.elf] error 1 

Please help me to resolve the issue. 

Waiting for your valuable reply. 

thanks in advance. for your valuable time 

NRM.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It means exactly what the error message says. Your program is too big to fit into the on-chip memory. Either shrink your program code or enlarge the on-chip memory (if possible).

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Galfonz 

Thank you very much for your valuable input. 

I am able to solve the issue by increasing on chip memory. 

Thanks  

Neel.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

It means exactly what the error message says. Your program is too big to fit into the on-chip memory. Either shrink your program code or enlarge the on-chip memory (if possible). 

--- Quote End ---  

dear Sir, what we can do if both are not possible 1) to shrink my code 2)enlarge the on-chip memory.