Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12597 Discussions

Unable to build "*.elf" file in NIOS II Eclipse.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All, 

I am novice in NIOS II Eclipse environment.  

To learn I am using the existing project and after compiling the nios project in Quartus. 

In order to generate the "*.elf" file, I created new project by pointing to "*nios_cpu.sopcinfo" file and added existing source file to the project. 

To build the project I am clicking on "build all" but NIOS II Eclipse environment is throwing error (Attached snapshot).  

console message  

info: linking test2.elf 

nios2-elf-g++ -t'../test2_bsp//linker.x' -msys-crt0='../test2_bsp//obj/hal/src/crt0.o' -msys-lib=hal_bsp -l../test2_bsp/ -wl,-map=test2.map -o0 -g -wall -mno-hw-div -mhw-mul -mno-hw-mulx -o test2.elf obj/default/dbc5cefa7_appl.o obj/default/aoeappl.o obj/default/bootmode.o obj/default/coeappl.o obj/default/db_nioshw.o obj/default/ecataoe.o obj/default/ecatappl.o obj/default/ecatcoe.o obj/default/ecatfoe.o obj/default/ecatslv.o obj/default/foeappl.o obj/default/mailbox.o obj/default/objdef.o obj/default/sdoserv.o -lm  

c:/altera/14.1/nios2eds/bin/gnu/h-x86_64-mingw32/bin/../lib/gcc/nios2-elf/4.8.3/../../../../../h-x86_64-mingw32/nios2-elf/bin/ld.exe: test2.elf section `.text' will not fit in region `onchip_memory' 

c:/altera/14.1/nios2eds/bin/gnu/h-x86_64-mingw32/bin/../lib/gcc/nios2-elf/4.8.3/../../../../../h-x86_64-mingw32/nios2-elf/bin/ld.exe: region `onchip_memory' overflowed by 93988 bytes 

collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status 

make: *** [test2.elf] error 1 

Please help me to resolve the issue. 

Waiting for your valuable reply. 

thanks in advance. for your valuable time 

NRM.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It means exactly what the error message says. Your program is too big to fit into the on-chip memory. Either shrink your program code or enlarge the on-chip memory (if possible).

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Galfonz 

Thank you very much for your valuable input. 

I am able to solve the issue by increasing on chip memory. 

Thanks  

Neel.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

It means exactly what the error message says. Your program is too big to fit into the on-chip memory. Either shrink your program code or enlarge the on-chip memory (if possible). 

--- Quote End ---  

dear Sir, what we can do if both are not possible 1) to shrink my code 2)enlarge the on-chip memory.
0 Kudos