Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12434 Discussions

Unable to do data transfers with altera DMA controller.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello all, 

I am a beginner just started working on altera fpga devices . I have designed an SoC (see figure) where it has NIOS II , onchip_memory1 and onchip_memory2 ,altera DMA controller and JTAG uart targeting stratix 10 device. 

I am able to do read /write data into each peripheral individually. But the thing is , i am completely unaware of how to transfer data from one peripheral to other peripheral via dma controller. I searched the dma controller document and found the control register , length register, status register , source register and destination register and found their offsets . Accordingly i have written a C code to configure all these registers (see the c code attached) for the dma controller. 

/* * "Hello World" example. * * This example prints 'Hello from Nios II' to the STDOUT stream. It runs on * the Nios II 'standard', 'full_featured', 'fast', and 'low_cost' example * designs. It runs with or without the MicroC/OS-II RTOS and requires a STDOUT * device in your system's hardware. * The memory footprint of this hosted application is ~69 kbytes by default * using the standard reference design. * * For a reduced footprint version of this template, and an explanation of how * to reduce the memory footprint for a given application, see the * "small_hello_world" template. * */ # include <stdio.h> //#include <altera_avalon_dma.h> int main() { alt_printf("Hello from Nios II!\n"); volatile int *avalon = 0x00000000; volatile int *onchip1 = 0x1000000+0x500; volatile int *onchip2 = 0x1010000; //internal register of dma controller volatile int *status_reg = 0x01020800; volatile int *dma_addr_src = 0x01020804; volatile int *dma_addr_dest = 0x01020808; volatile int *dma_bytes = 0x0102080c; volatile int *control_reg = 0x01020818; int i; int b_errors = 0; //configuring the internal registers status_reg = 0x0; dma_addr_dest = 0x01010000; dma_addr_src = 0x1000000+0x500; dma_bytes = 0x200; control_reg = 0x0099; // filling data into avalon custom slave for(i=0;i<512;i++) { avalon = i; } //filling data into source peripheral for(i=0;i<512;i++) { onchip1 = i*0x100+0x100; } alt_printf("data written to avalon slave peripheral and source peripheral\n"); alt_dcache_flush_all(); alt_icache_flush_all(); //cross checking the configuration registers of dma controller alt_printf("b_errors = %x\n",b_errors); alt_printf("statusreg = %x\n",status_reg); alt_printf("readaddressreg = %x\n",dma_addr_src); alt_printf("writeaddressreg = %x\n",dma_addr_dest); alt_printf("dma_bytes = %x\n",dma_bytes); alt_printf("control_reg = %x\n",control_reg); //continous checking to see whether status register is getting high ?? while(status_reg !=1){ } //comparing data at both source and destination peripherals for(i=0;i<512;i++) { if(onchip2 != onchip1) b_errors ++; } /* for(i=0;i<512;i++) { alt_printf("%x\n",onchip1); }*/ alt_printf("b_errors = %x\n",b_errors); return 0; }  

please someone help me to sort out this issue. 

Regards, 

anil 

https://alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15174&stc=1 https://alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15175&stc=1
0 Kudos
0 Replies