Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12435 Discussions

Unable to get Nios-II F going, Nios-II S works fine in same config. (DE2-115 + SDRAM)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello All, 

I have a DE2-115 running a Nios-II S(low) with the on board SDRAM (basic config, HELLO WORLD application). 50 Mhz clock, 3ns delay for the ram clock, no FPGA RAM used. 

When I change to Nios-II-F(ast), using the same configuration I am unable to start the CPU (an exception is thrown at startup). 

I wonder what can be the reason ? 

What is a bit strange is that the OpenCore dialog box (Quartus Lite Edition 17.0) does not come up when I download. I know that the Slow CPU does not need the Open Core licence (as it seems), but I thought that the F version did. 

If so, how can I convince Quartus to launch OpenCore upon download of my VHDL project ? 

To be sure there are no hickups in Eclipse, I generate a new program based on the SOPC file generated by QSYS, so I do not use an updated BSP to start from when changing the CPU type. The old configuration cannot pollute the new one. 

The exact error I get is that Nios throws an exception and ends up at Nios2_BREAK() (alt_instruction_exception_entry.c). This after I oblige eclipse to download by overruling the timpmestamp check that is not correct.) Since I generated a brand new file based on a newly generated Sopc file, this also seems very strange. Iam also very sure I download the correct version to my FPGA board. (tried it multiple times) 

Backtracking on the stack, the exception seems to be generated in alt_get_fd.c, getting a descriptor for my Jtag Uart. Very strange because for the -S CPU this works properly ? The exact line is line 79 where alt_fd_list.dev is accessed. 

for (i = 0; i < alt_max_fd; i++) 

if (!alt_fd_list.dev) <= this line 

alt_fd_list[i].dev = dev; 

if (i > alt_max_fd) 

alt_max_fd = i; 

rc = i; 

goto alt_get_fd_exit; 

Is there anybody who got the -F cpu working on an SDRAM config for the DE2-115 in a Quartus lite config? 

Is anybody able to explain what I did wrong or forgot ? 

Thanks for any advice, 

Johi. 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear All, 

My mistake: 

You can select 2 different versions of the .sof file to download to the FPGA. 

The standard version 

The time limited version. 

For the /f cpu you need the time limited version in Q lite. 

And for those of you struggeling with a DE2-115 Nios-II/F. 

I included a Q17.0 archive of my working project. 

Best Regards, 

Johi.