Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12409 Discussions

Unpopulated JTAG header on DE1-SoC

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I can't afford the Altera tools licence so can't debug HPS code over JTAG/Blaster as that isn't afailable with the free toolset. 

If I solder in a 10 pin header could I then use JTAG & a 3rd party debugger on the HPS side? (I realise teh warranty would probably be void.) 

If not is there any way to get this functionality?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I see from the schematic this header has a USB_DISABLE_n signal on pin 2 pulled up to VCC. 

If I pull this down to ground will this disable the Blaster and take it out of the JTAG chain?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

...Anyone?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am looking at options for 3rd party debugger as well. Can you share if you manage to find one that works?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm back on this project now. Can anyone at Terasic provide any information about this JTAG header on the DE1-SoC?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

According to the schematic, it's pretty clear that the intended function of the JTAG header J5 is to automatically tri-state the MAX V pins driving the JTAG chain when connecting an Altera USB adapter (or any adapter with the same pinning). Hopefully this function is supported by the actual MAX V configuration. I would give it a try.  

You can check the tri-state function before soldering a connector.