Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Unresolved Inclusion, priv

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Good day forum People 

I am a total noob to nios2. I am trying to run a uart IRQ but because of an unresolved inclusion: My main c files code is: 

# include "system.h"# include "altera_avalon_uart_regs.h"# include "sys/alt_irq.h"# include <stdio.h># include "altera_avalon_pio_regs.h"# include <alt_types.h> # define RX_BUFFER_SIZE 1024 unsigned char rx_buffer; void IsrUart() { IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_UART_TXDATA(UART_BASE,0x03); int sr; IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_PIO_DATA(OUT_8PIO_BASE,0x2); sr = IORD_ALTERA_AVALON_UART_STATUS(UART_BASE); if(sr & ALTERA_AVALON_UART_STATUS_RRDY_MSK) { rx_buffer=IORD_ALTERA_AVALON_UART_RXDATA(UART_BASE); } IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_UART_RXDATA(UART_BASE,rx_buffer); if (rx_buffer==0x55) IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_PIO_DATA(OUT_8PIO_BASE,rx_buffer); } void InitUart() { IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_UART_TXDATA(UART_BASE,0x02); int context_uart; alt_irq_register(UART_IRQ,&context_uart,IsrUart); alt_irq_enable (UART_IRQ); } int main(void) { IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_UART_TXDATA(UART_BASE,0x01); InitUart(); IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_PIO_DATA(OUT_8PIO_BASE,0x00); while(1) { usleep(1000000); IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_UART_TXDATA(UART_BASE,0x11); } return 0; }Every time I try to build it I get the error: 

undefined reference to `alt_irq_enable' 

I've traced it all the way through alt_irq.h and found that the function is declared in alt_legacy_irq.h which is included in alt_irq. If I manually go and get this file and included it the error goes away but my interrupt never gets executed. Any help would be much appreciated.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

You did not configure the control register of the UART to specify which interrupt you want to activate (cf Embedded Peripherals IP User Guide pp 7-11 to 7-15). So it is normal that the ISR is never executed. 

Regarding the function alt_irq_enable, you don't need it, by default the interrupts are active. You need this function only if you want to deativate an interrupt and reactivate it later. 

Jérôme
0 Kudos