Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12437 Discussions

Update bitstream and kernel in flash from Linux : A clean way to generate binary file

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I wish to update my entire system from a running Linux by changing Flash content : changing bitstream and kernel. 

My flash is partitioned with 2 area : bitstream (4MB ) and kernel (4MB ). 

My main issue is that using altera tools to convert sof2flash and elf2flash I do not have intermediary files : raw binary files that I can write to my flash using  

cp <file> /dev/mtdXI only get srec files that are not usable from Linux to Flash my external memory (as far as I know, but maybe there is a tool to write srec files from nios2-linux) 

Ok I have already binary file : the .sof and my zImage but : 

• sof2flash adds (or remove) some headers and configure bitstream loading mode : in my case active parallel 

• elf2flash adds a bootloader before my zImage 

So I need to pass through sof2flash and elf2flash. Unfortunately those software does not provide binary format of the generated files .... 

So the most automated way I found is to : 

1. Flash my board using Altera tools (elf2flash, sof2flash and nios2-flash-programmer) 

2. Read back partitions from flash using nios2-flash-programmer -B <ADD>+<SIZE> -R zImage.tmp --base=0x08000000 

3. use srec_cat srec_cat -output zImage.bin -binary zImage.tmp 

Doing this I have a zImage.bin adapted to my Flash with a bootloader inside. 

I can also dump the flash from linux and then transfer it using ftp but I cannot automate the process easily. 

Does someone has a better solution ?? 

Best regards
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can use nios2-elf-objcopy on the SREC like so: 

elf2flash --base=0xc1000000 --end=0xc1FFFFFF --reset=0xc1540020 --input=zImage --output=zImage.flash --boot=/opt/altera/nios2eds/components/altera_nios2/boot_loader_cfi.srec && nios2-elf-objcopy -I srec -O binary zImage.flash /data/nios/nios2-linux/zImage.bin