Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12435 Discussions

Upload Data via NIOS2 Command Shell

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, my intention is to read data from NIOS memory (e.g. onchip RAM or SRAM) via the NIOS2 Command Shell. I have running a script and want to read at a special memory address, which is written by the Nios II processor. I think there must be a possibility to "upload" data from the Command Shell, because the "nios2-download" command executes a verify after downloading data to memory. Does anybody have experience with this topic? In other words, I'm looking for a possibility to change information between a running Nios II SW and my script (a simple print to terminal is not helpful). Greetings

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

you could use a simple UART-based protocol between your host machine (PC with a skript, or C-Code) and the NIOS. 

The most simple implementation is to use putchar and getchar?!
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I would suggest using the System Console for that. You can read and write directly to any Avalon component (such as the on-chip memory) using simple TCL commands. Have a read at the document https://www.altera.com.cn/zh_cn/pdfs/literature/hb/qts/qts_qii53028.pdf 

At page 10-16 there are many examples on how to use this tool including how to read/write to on-chip memory. 

Regards, 

Thiago