Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

Upload Data via NIOS2 Command Shell

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, my intention is to read data from NIOS memory (e.g. onchip RAM or SRAM) via the NIOS2 Command Shell. I have running a script and want to read at a special memory address, which is written by the Nios II processor. I think there must be a possibility to "upload" data from the Command Shell, because the "nios2-download" command executes a verify after downloading data to memory. Does anybody have experience with this topic? In other words, I'm looking for a possibility to change information between a running Nios II SW and my script (a simple print to terminal is not helpful). Greetings

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

you could use a simple UART-based protocol between your host machine (PC with a skript, or C-Code) and the NIOS. 

The most simple implementation is to use putchar and getchar?!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I would suggest using the System Console for that. You can read and write directly to any Avalon component (such as the on-chip memory) using simple TCL commands. Have a read at the document https://www.altera.com.cn/zh_cn/pdfs/literature/hb/qts/qts_qii53028.pdf 

At page 10-16 there are many examples on how to use this tool including how to read/write to on-chip memory. 

Regards, 

Thiago
0 Kudos