Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Usb blaster nios and eclipse?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Guys, how can I download .elf to the board. I can not find usb blaster in eclipse. How can I find it? it can be found on quartus 12.1. any clues? thx 

Please see attachment...
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Your FPGA project with Nios is compiled and configured to FPGA ? 

This window in Properties shows only accessible Nios-es in current "live" configuration.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

only accessible Nios-es in current "live" configuration.... 

Do you mean after I configure FPGA chip, I can see the chip here and upload the C code into it ? thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, Nios is soft-processor, unlike "hard" ARM in SoC, its core(s) will be added in QSys to Quartus project, configured in detail and compiled to .sof | .rbf. 

Default configuration in boards usually not contain any Nios-es. 

And if your loaded configuration really contain Nios, may try reboot of Windows to see normal system.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So I upload NIOS to EP4CE10 first and after that I upload again the LED test code into it, eclipse will detect itself if EP4CE10 has NIOS already ? I put the configuration in EPCS16 ? thanks

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Your questions is very strange. My questions on Rus-Eng is analogous ? :) 

You is experienced Nios-user or beginner ? 

In 2nd variant please describe in details all our actions to debug Nios program, readed documents and your board with FPGA. 

With default configuration (or empty) Nios-Eclipse-IDE can't see any Nios core, and "alien" cores with different from .sopcinfo parameters can't used for debugging.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm beginner for Nios.... 

Here's what I've got from the board DVD 

General Process is as follows: 

1. Copy the Nios II processors (Quartus II projects) to your computer, which are located in "DVD_ALTERA_EN\data\program\EP4CE6\nios\Quartus II Project". 

2. Launch Nios II IDE 

1) Create a new Nios II project. 

2) Config the Nios processor by specifying the PTF file directory on the "Select Target Hardware" section. The PTF file directory depends on where you placed the Nios II processors in step 1. 

3) Copy the corresponding c code in "DVD_ALTERA_EN\data\program\EP4CE6\nios\Nios II C Code" into the new project. 

4) Build the new Nios II project. 

3. Connect the development board to the PC through a download cable. 

4. Back to the Nios II IDE 

1) Download the Nios II processor to the FPGA, select"Tools->Quaters II Programmer" to download the sof file. 

2) Run the Nios II project (right click the makefile, select "Run ->Run As->2 Nios II Hardware", it may takes several minutes). When download completed, the demo code should starts to run automatically. 

What do you reckon ?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

May try all operations on other PC ? Reinstall Altera-s all on current... 

If exist precompiled .sof for this project and is downloaded to FPGA, Eclipse MUST see its Nios !
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Moving to the EDS section of the forum. Make sure to do the following: 

1) Ensure the Nios II processor has at least level 1 JTAG debug enabled 

2) Read this: http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/nios2/n2sw_nii52017.pdf
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I can see Nios on eclipse already but can not upload the code yet... 

Now I get another error, is it because of Quartus 12.1 license ? I'm using Quartus 12.1 Web Edition..
0 Kudos