Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12367 Discussions

Use 3rd Party Terminal for JTAG-UART IP

TheRealPaulie
Beginner

Hello!

I have a MAX10 with a NIOS2 core. 

I tested both JTAG-UART (USB Blaster from Terasic) and UART IP (a common RS232 to USB adapter) an they work great. I can communicate between NIOS and PC with both of them.

I wrote my own code (3rd Party) and it works with UART-IP and RS232-USB adapter. There is a COM Port in Windows Device Manager: from there is easy. 

But I used the JTAG-UART + USB Blaster only in Eclipse. How can I access the  JTAG-UART + USB Blaster in a 3rd Party Terminal/Console? I want to access the UART over JTAG-UART IP in my own software.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Paul

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Eliath_G_Intel
Employee

Hi Paul,

Thanks for reaching us,

regarding your question...

you would need to recreate the Jtag - UART architecture independently , please take a look at the following document, page 2 to see how it is constituted.

https://www.intel.cn/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/nios2/n2cpu_nii51009.pdf

Regards,