Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12453 Discussions

Use full C library for Nios II on DE2 Board

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Everyone, 

I'm trying to program a Nios II on a DE2 Board and to use the normal or full C libraries. When I build my software project with the corresponding version of Eclipse, I get an error message:  

../../nios2-elf/bin/ld.exe: Test_Project.elf section `.text' will not fit in region `onchip_mem' ../../nios2-elf/bin/ld.exe: region `onchip_mem' overflowed by 8192 bytesIf I increase the memory size of the onchip-mem about 8 kB, the Nios II-Design doesn't fit into the Cyclone II FPGA anymore. If I try to store this .text section I another memory (e.g. SDRAM), Nios II doesn't do anything. 

Other programs using the small C library are workling fine, but for a new project I need the complete library. 

Can someone help me or know how to solve this problem?? 

Greetings & thank you very much!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Have you move the reset and exception pointers into the SDRAM? 

Does the SDRAM work at all (eg from a small test program)? Through the data cache, and bypassing the cache. 

Write smaller code :-)
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey, thank you for the reply. 

The SDRAM is working. Memory checks were successful. 

How to move these pointers to the SDRAM exactly? I would this Nios II BSP editor you can find PROJECT_NAME_BSP -> properties -> Nios II BSP Properties -> BSP Editor... and then the tab "Linker Script".
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think the values with the nios part of the SOPC builder need changing. 

It also depends on how you are actually downloading the code. 

I don't compile/load code by any 'normal' means and it is a while since I've used one of the dev kits.