Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Using Windows Generated NIOS Project on Linux

DiBosco
Novice

I've installed Quartus Lite and Eclipse as per instructions here:

https://www.terasic.com.tw/wiki/Getting_Start_Install_Eclipse_IDE_into_Nios_EDS

I have done this on Linux and Windows.

On Windows it will import a project that has been zipped up and given to me, by selecting File | Import then Existing Project Into Workspace.

However, when I try this on Linux, it just sits there trying to import, but gets nowhere. 

Are there any gotchas I need to know about when trying to use a Windows generated project on Linux? Has anyone ever seen this before? Is there anything I can do to provide debug info about what's going on please?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DiBosco
Novice

Bump. Any chance of some help on this please? Am totally stuck with this.

0 Kudos
DiBosco
Novice

I should also add, that even an hello world soft core project I created myself on Linux with Quartus takes AGES to do the original setup in Eclipse when you come to make a new project using the soft core. The same spinning wheel as it grinds on and on, but at least it does actually *eventually* do it, and once the project is set-up you're away.

Also, is it really not possible to edit your posts?

0 Kudos
EricMunYew_C_Intel

Hi, Robert

Can you follow below to install:

1. install WSL for windows

i. https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/nios2/n2sw_nii5v2gen2.pdf (chapter 2.1)

Note: Windows 10 build version 16215.0 or higher is the recommended operating system version.

ii. After installation has successfully completed, launch Ubuntu 18.04.

iii. Install additional distro packages required for Nios II EDS using the following commands:

a. sudo apt-get update

b. sudo apt install wsl

c. sudo apt install dos2unix

d. sudo apt install make

2. install nios2 eclipse folder

https://www.intel.com/content/altera-www/global/en_us/index/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/tools/2019/why-does-the-nios--ii-not-installed-after-full-installation-of-t.html

3.  After re-installation, can you download the patch from below KDB:

https://www.intel.com/content/altera-www/global/en_us/index/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/embedded/2020/nios2-elf-gcc-exe--error--createprocess--no-such-file-or-directo.html

0 Kudos
DiBosco
Novice

Hi @EricMunYew_C_Intel ,

Thanks for the reply. However, I don't understand how installing stuff on Windows will help me open a project on Linux.

Please re-read my post and note that this issue here is that I am on *Linux* and trying to import a project that was originally created on Linux. I need assistance with *LInux*, not Windows.

The only thing I can get going is creating a Quartus project on v16 and then a NIOS project from the Quartus project. When I go to v18 even creating a new project on Linux does not work. I Cannot get a WIndows created NIOS project to import on any version of Linux.

So in summary:

I am on Linux. Forget Windows, other than some projects were originally created on Windows. I have tried v16, v18 and v21.

What I can do on Linux.

Install Quartus v16, v18 and v21, create and compile a softcore and create .sopcinfo files.  I can open Quartus files created on Windows and compile. Quartus works an absolute treat. All versions.

On v16 I can create a new NIOS project in Eclipse, compile and run it on actual hardware.

I cannot import a previously project that was created in Windows in any version whatsoever.

Not a one. I cannot even create a NIOS project in Eclipse from a starting-from-scratch Quartus project on Linux. It just sits there with the blue and red arrows circular icon spinning round and round.  There is no feedback at all to tell me why it's struggling.

I think the latter point is possibly a salient one.  If we could get some feedback on why it is struggling maybe that would help, but I have no idea how to get that.

Many thanks,

Rob

0 Kudos
DiBosco
Novice

I really wish you could edit posts on this forum.

This is wrong:

"Please re-read my post and note that this issue here is that I am on *Linux* and trying to import a project that was originally created on Linux."

The project were originally created on Windows. *I* am on Linux, originally projects were created on Windows.

0 Kudos
EricMunYew_C_Intel

Hi, Rob

You can try to archive your Quartus project to .qar.

And then in your Linux, you can open up or import this .qar in your Quartus.

To archive a Quartus project, you can go to Project->Archive Project->Advanced.

0 Kudos
DiBosco
Novice

@BoonBengT_Intel 

This one is still outstanding. This ia a real problem.

0 Kudos