Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Want to run NicheStack under NIOS ISS

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I would like to use the NIOS ISS to run my "C" code instead of the actual Altera development board (it's not available to me at the moment). My code uses the NicheStack TCP functions (like "connect"). As soon as the code hits the "connect" function the simulator crashes. There are plenty of messages from NicheStack prior to this that indicate the NicheStack s/w is present and happy. Am I trying to do something that isn't supported? My "C" code is simply trying to connect to a port on the locahost (address 127.0.0.1). I have my server up prior to this and with another test program I can connect to it successfully but when inste3d running with the NIOS ISS, nothing connects - just the crash. 

One last thought - is it possible that once the NicheStack s/w gets to the point it wants to interact with an 802.3 PHY layer, it cannot (since we're in a simulator not a dev. board) and this results in a failure?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm pretty sure the ISS will not simulate a Ethernet interface, so you can't run the stack on a simulator. 

But the Interniche stack uses the standard BSD sockets API that you also find on Unix or Windows, so nothing prevents you from testing your code on your native platform with a regular C compiler instead.
0 Kudos