Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Watchpoint with NIOS IDE

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

My program variables are overwritten (probably by my own codes). 

I tried to set a watchpoint at the address onwhich the variable is being stored. 

But, de debugger won't go further after I set the watch point. 

Any one help? 

Regards, 

Kwok Wong
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Kwok, 

Actually, there is a problem with the Nios II IDE watchpoint feature, which is fixed in the next, as yet unreleased, version 1.1 of Nios II IDE. There is a powerful alternative though via FS2 console. You can use the FS2 command line tools to set a data breakpoint, and even trigger actions when the particular piece of data you are watching for appears on the Avalon bus. Actions include halting the Nios II processor, or beginning execution trace.  

To enable FS2 functionality in the NIOS II IDE, check the box for FS2 on your application project's Run configuration page, Debugger tab. 

First Silicon Solutions is an Altera partner, providing at no cost, included with your Nios II Development Kit, 2 data breakpoints, 2 hardware breakpoints, and 32 frames of trace data. Upgrades for additional breakpoints and deep trace buffer are available from FS2.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by stephen_niosii@Nov 3 2004, 05:39 PM 

hello kwok, 

actually, there is a problem with the nios ii ide watchpoint feature, which is fixed in the next, as yet unreleased, version 1.1 of nios ii ide.  there is a powerful alternative though via fs2 console.  you can use the fs2 command line tools to set a data breakpoint, and even trigger actions when the particular piece of data you are watching for appears on the avalon bus.  actions include halting the nios ii processor, or beginning execution trace.   

to enable fs2 functionality in the nios ii ide, check the box for fs2 on your application project's run configuration page, debugger tab. 

first silicon solutions is an altera partner, providing at no cost, included with your nios ii development kit, 2 data breakpoints, 2 hardware breakpoints, and 32 frames of trace data.  upgrades for additional breakpoints and deep trace buffer are available from fs2. 

--- Quote End ---  

I tried to use FS2. 

But I got the error: 

"No license for HW trigger"
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Kwok, 

Nios II comes with a license for only 2 data breakpoints and 2 instruction breakpoints. Did you try to set more than that? Also, to enable this feature, you need to select a Nios II cpu which supports these breakpoints in SOPC Builder by selecting at least a debug level 2 or greater under the JTAG Debug Module tab of the Nios II cpu module (double-click cpu module in SOPC Builder to access). Then you must regenerate in SOPC Builder, recompile in Quartus, and program the resulting .sof file into flash. You can contact FS2 for license issues or to purchase licenses for additional breakpoints or a deeper trace buffer. 

Best regards, 

Stephen
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by stephen_niosii@Nov 9 2004, 07:59 PM 

hello kwok, 

nios ii comes with a license for only 2 data breakpoints and 2 instruction breakpoints.  did you try to set more than that?  also, to enable this feature, you need to select a nios ii cpu which supports these breakpoints  in sopc builder by selecting at least a debug level 2 or greater under the jtag debug module tab of the nios ii cpu module (double-click cpu module in sopc builder to access).  then you must regenerate in sopc builder, recompile in quartus, and program the resulting .sof file into flash.  you can contact fs2 for license issues or to purchase licenses for additional breakpoints or a deeper trace buffer. 

best regards, 

stephen 

--- Quote End ---  

I didn't try to set more than 2 breakpoints. 

Acutally it was the first time I used FS2. 

Wat I did in the FS2 console: 

"Select Windows>HW triggers>" 

Then I got the license error!
0 Kudos