Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Way to use CTRL-C w/o exiting nios2-terminal?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There are a lot of times when I need to stop a process that I've started by using CTRL-C, or perhaps suspend it with CTRL-Z. I do this all the time on my Linux development box. The problem with the Nios II IDE is that the nios2-terminal shell uses these same controls. 

Is there a way to use CTRL-C and/or CTRL-Z functionality without exiting from the nios2-terminal? 

Is there an escape sequence that can be used? 

Can these controls be reassigned for the Nios II IDE shell? 

Currently I've been running all of my programs in the background (i.e. appending a "&" at the end of the command line), but this is starting to get annoying. 

Does anyone have a suggestion?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I switched to serial console (with the client hyperTerminal) because of the "annoying" feature of nios2-terminal.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the suggestion. I have moved away from the JTAG serial console and utilized one of the nios serial ports. I am using minicom under Linux as my terminal emulator. No more CTRL-C problems. 

Thanks again!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've done this "accidentally" before, I'm guessing I've pressed a key sequence that acted as escape character and then sent the break signal to the other side, but not sure how repeat it haha, anyone has any idea how to do this?  

the question is, how to send a break signal over the nios2-terminal?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

When uClinux is started use stty intr '$' to use ctrl + $ as break key

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

To escape sequence to leave nios2-terminal is ^D (0x04). 

Here is the code used to close nios2-terminal at the end of main(): 

printf("%c",0x04);
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Masters, can you help me find this server error? 

cusabio/pro.php?
0 Kudos