Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

What are the typical RAM requirements for MicroC/OS II on Nios II?

KDavi3
Beginner

I've allocated 65536 bytes of RAM (which is nearly all that is available on chip) but as I compile the Hello MicroC/OS II example project in Eclipse, I get the following errors:

/opt/intelFPGA_lite/nios2eds/bin/gnu/H-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/../lib/gcc/nios2-elf/5.3.0/../../../../../H-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/nios2-elf/bin/ld: address 0x21c08 of ucos.elf section `.rwdata' is not within region `ram'

/opt/intelFPGA_lite/nios2eds/bin/gnu/H-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/../lib/gcc/nios2-elf/5.3.0/../../../../../H-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/nios2-elf/bin/ld: address 0x2acd4 of ucos.elf section `.bss' is not within region `ram'

/opt/intelFPGA_lite/nios2eds/bin/gnu/H-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/../lib/gcc/nios2-elf/5.3.0/../../../../../H-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/nios2-elf/bin/ld: address 0x21c08 of ucos.elf section `.rwdata' is not within region `ram'

/opt/intelFPGA_lite/nios2eds/bin/gnu/H-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/../lib/gcc/nios2-elf/5.3.0/../../../../../H-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/nios2-elf/bin/ld: address 0x2acd4 of ucos.elf section `.bss' is not within region `ram'

I understand that this may mean that there is not enough RAM, but I'm surprised that MicroC/OS II requires so much. Am I missing something?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
KDavi3
Beginner

Thanks. That documentation doesn't directly answer the question, but I followed your suggestion to look further at the Using MicroC/OS-II RTOS with the Nios II Processor Tutorial. It uses the hardware from the Nios II Ethernet Standard Design Example, which appears to use an external 32 MB SDRAM chip. I certainly don't have nearly that much RAM. The Nios II Ethernet Standard Design Example is available for various development boards, and I think they all have external SDRAM, which leaves me to question if MicroC/OS-II RTOS can even run at all with only on-chip memory.

0 Kudos