Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12455 Discussions

What is an LVDS board and what does it do?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Trying to isolate a fault between a logic board and LVDS board, need to know what function an LVDS board performs? Anyone help me please?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't konw

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Trying to isolate a fault between a logic board and LVDS board, need to know what function an LVDS board performs? Anyone help me please? 

--- Quote End ---  

It would help if you could post a link or some details on the LVDS board. 

If the board contains only level translators, then its probably just converting from single-ended LVCMOS to LVDS. 

To debug the problem, use a scope and generate toggles on each of your single-ended signals. Follow the traces to the LVDS board, and see if the outputs are toggling. 

If the outputs are failing in groups, check the output-enables on the LVDS buffers. I use parts from National Semiconductor that are 9-bit LVDS level translators, and that is one failure I have seen. I've also seen inputs, outputs, or just one side of the output LVDS pair not being driven due to bad solder joints. 

Cheers, 

Dave