Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

What is in uClinux on Nios II

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi guys, 

I know standard Linux well. I am just wondering is there a list of components which are present in uClinux distribution of Nios. What mean is the following. 

1. Version of kernel and how does it differ from the same version of standard Linux kernel distribution. 

2. How are the devices managed?, does it use 'udev' 

3. Does it support hotplug? 

4. Which version of busybox is it using and is there a list of all the utilities? 

Is there a document or a link for this information? 

Thanks, 

KY
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Please note I am looking for the differences of uClinux with MMU with the standard Linux. I read some information about uClinux but almost all of it mainly tells about no MMU case. Once we have VM (in case of uclinux+mmu) does the uClinux work like normal kernel. Does uClinux with MMU kernel support 'fork' etc. Where can I get this information. 

Thanks, 

KY
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'd suggest You to join Nios-linux mailing list. Devices managed using device-tree. What do You mean about hotplug? Which device? E.g. if it's SD card, then yes.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

E.g. if it's SD card, then yes. 

--- Quote End ---  

But of course depending on the capabilities of the hardware. When I worked with NEEK, SD-hotplugging did not work, as (AFAIK), a connection between the socket and the FPGA was missing.  

-Michael
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for your answers. Okay, I will join Nios-linux mailing list. 

I suppose you know in normal linux (after version 2.6.13) after creating the device nodes the actual device management is handled by 'Udev'. Earlier people used use 'devfs'. I understand using device tree you can create the hardware IO map for kernel this far lower level than udev. Actually in normal linux generic way of hotplug and all the information propagation to user level processes is done by Udev API (generally using DBUS). I just wish to understand all the differences with the standard Linux so that we can write the applications correctly for uCLinux with virtual memory. 

Thanks, 

KY
0 Kudos