Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12409 Discussions

What is meaning of NIOS "Instance ID" in Eclipse ?

CWarr1
Beginner

I have 3 Nios processors in my design. In QSYS they are named NIOS_1, NIOS_2 and NIOS_3. When I start eclipse to run test code, it offers me a choice of 3 Nios processors to connect to; with names nios2_0, nios2_1 and nios2_2, and instance ID of 0, 1, 2 respectively.

From trial and error, I found that Eclipse nios2_0 connects to my QSYS NIOS_3.

How can I tell which Nios I am connecting to in Eclipse ?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

You need to add the system ID component. The system ID peripheral safeguards against accidentally downloading software compiled for a different Nios II system. If the system includes the system ID peripheral, the Nios II SBT for Eclipse can prevent you from downloading programs compiled for a different system.

Please check the following page for more info:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/an/an717.pdf#page=15

Regards,