Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

What is new in the Nios II Linux Distribution 1.2?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Comparing with the Nios II linux distribution 1.1, what is new in the distribution 1.2? I did not see any change in the readme file? http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r.gif

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

1.2?? We recently released Nios II v1.1 for shipment and the next version is under development. Features for each release are normally announced by Altera at or near the time of release; please be patient.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Jesse, 

I mean linux distribution 1.2 for Nios II not nios II 1.2.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

oops, I am sorry. I mis-understood the question. I will leave this for the linux experts to answer!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

Regarding Linux updates - our distribution integrates well with the Altera tool set. That means as a user it is much easier to use our tools than with some competing solutions. However, when the Altera tools are updated, that means we have to update our stuff (Eclipse component, mainly) even if the underlying Linux kernel itself remains at the same version level. 

The 1.2 update was produced so that users with the latest Altera tools (Nios 1.01) could install and use our Linux distribution. 

Shortly, there will another update released that will allow users to use the Nios 1.1 and Quartus 4.2 tools with our distribution. This particular update does include a Linux kernel update (to 2.6.9), and adds: 

- POSIX message queues 

- syscontrol 

- cifs smb mount points (allows you to hook up to a Windows share) 

- other minor improvements and fixes 

Robert
0 Kudos