Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

What's the meaning of "HAL-based operating systems do not support a CPU with an MMU"

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I copied a Nios project from another person,after opened that project using NIOS eclipse,I want to build that project,but got 2 errors. 

I think it's because the BSP directory is not correct,so i want to assign the *.sopcinfo file in my computer, 

When I opened BSP editor and change SOPC information file which was generated by myself, 

I got an error:"HAL-based operating systems do not support a CPU with an MMU". 

I don't know what mistake I made,Please help me and give me some advices,thanks very much!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think you either need to create a project with a BSP that supports a CPU with MMU (such as Linux) or disable the MMU in the CPU. To do the latter, open your SOPC Builder / QSys project, double click on the CPU and look for the memory options. You should be able to disable the MMU there.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear Daixiwen, 

My OS is CentOS which is a rebuild version of linux.The only difference is I use a virtual machine based on VMware. 

Does this lead to unsuccess?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sorry I was talking about the operating system you are running on the Nios CPU, not the one on your PC. IF you are using Eclipse IIRC the only two options you have is no operating system (just the Altera HAL) and uCOS II. None of those options support a CPU with MMU so I think you should configure your Nios CPU without the MMU.

0 Kudos