Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12368 Discussions

Where are hwlibs for Cyclone V SoC HPS EMAC?

corestar
New Contributor I

I need to write a driver for the HPS EMAC. The rev 18.0 hwlibs do not seem to have any functions to control the EMAC.

I'm used to Xilinx Zynq which has a large API of functions in the BSP to do things such as XEmacPs_CfgInitialize to initialize and EMAC, XEmacPs_SetMacAddress, and XEmacPs_SetHandler to set interrupt handlers etc. Is there nothing similar in Altera????

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Abe
Valued Contributor II

The HWLIBS for Cyclone V SoC are present only in the Standard Version of Quartus Prime and EDS only. The Pro version will support only Cyclone 10, Arria 10 and Stratix10 SoCs.

corestar
New Contributor I

@Abe​ , I'm using the Quartus Standard since Pro does not support Cyclone V at all. But there don't appear to be any hwlibs for the EMAC.

corestar
New Contributor I

To be more specific, I've attached a screenshot the HWLIBS docs. A large number of functions for things such as the UART, I2C etc, but nothing for the EMAC.

no_hwlibs_emac.jpg

Abe
Valued Contributor II

Looks like only the Register space for the EMAC is defined in the HWLIBs. I do not see any API documentation. You can find this information under Address Space -> Component: EMAC Module - ALT_EMAC.

Intel (Altera) does mention the following:

WARNING: The C register and register group struct declarations are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes. They should, however, be used with caution as the C language standard provides no guarantees about the alignment or atomicity of device memory accesses. The recommended practice for writing hardware drivers is to use the SoCAL access macros and alt_read_word() and alt_write_word() functions.

Looks like we have to write our own drivers for the EMAC using the register space provided and the alt_write_word() and alt_read_word() functions.

If you look into the following location you will find the emac header file:

/intelFPGA/18.1/embedded/ip/altera/hps/altera_hps/hwlib/include/soc_cv_av/socal