Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Where is ecos.mak?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm working through the eCos 2.0 for Nios II document, and I'm up to step 6.2: Build the Application. 

When I type make INSTALL_DIR=my_ecos_install_dir (no, that's not its actual name), I get an error: 

Makefile:9: my_ecos_install_dir/include/pkgconf/ecos.mak: No such file or directory 

Furthermore, there are no *.mak files in the ecos-generated tree. 

Is there something else I should be doing? Did I miss a step?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The install directory should be populated when you do: Build->library in configtool. Were there any errors when you did that?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I rebuilt the library, and I think I found my problem: last time, the mouse pointer changed back to a regular pointer after I chose "Build -> Library", so I thought it was done and exited the program. The text pane at the bottom of the window wasn't showing any activity (apparently you have to scroll it down to the bottom for that), I didn't look at the status line, there were no animations or anything saying it was busy, and it didn't ask me if I wanted to abort the build in progress when I chose "File -> Exit". Now, after rebuilding, it is there, and a lot more than just the header files. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Mike 

I am following the same way as you tried and got the .mak error. After solving that I am getting the following error message in the message window, 

make -j1 --directory "/ecos-d/Temp/examples/example_build" 

make: Entering directory `/ecos-d/Temp/examples/example_build' 

make -r -C hal/nios2/arch/v2_0 headers 

make[1]: Entering directory `/ecos-d/Temp/examples/example_build/hal/nios2/arch/v2_0' 

The syntax of the command is incorrect. 

make[1]: Leaving directory `/ecos-d/Temp/examples/example_build/hal/nios2/arch/v2_0' 

sed: -e expression# 1, char 11: Unknown option to `s' 

make: Leaving directory `/ecos-d/Temp/examples/example_build' 

make[1]: *** [/ecos-d/Temp/examples/example_install/include/cyg/hal/alt_types.h] Error 1 

make: *** [headers] Error 2 

Can nyou help us in this regard. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This problem is caused by invoking a cygwin application using either the wrong version of cygwin, or by using a Windows short path. It can happen when running configtool if you have set up the tools path incorrectly. This should have been correctly set for you by the installer. 

To check, go to Tools->Paths...->Build Tools and check that this is set to: 

<your kit directory>\bin\nios2-gnutools\H-i686-pc-cygwin\bin 

User Tools should be set to the same directory. 

Don&#39;t worry if you get a message like: "... does not appear to contain the user tools...". This is normal, just click "Yes" to accept the directory. In fact you should worry if you don&#39;t see this message, since it means configtool will launch make with the wrong path, causing the problem that you&#39;re seeing.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Mokeyboy 

But still I am getting the same error message. One thing I noted is even I tried changing the User Tolls dir it is not taking, it is in the same old path which is different form the Build Tools path. 

Rgds
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If your user tools and build tools are different there is something wrong with your install. You should probably do a clean install.

0 Kudos