Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12603 Discussions

Where to find "Linux compatible Quartus project"

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, All 

Where to find "Nios II Linux compatible Quartus project" 

(I need full cpu core) 

I use "uClinux 2.6 Distribution v1.1" and nios development kit, thanks!
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, Linux works with the standard_32 Altera quartus projects. So, if you're looking for a basic design to modify, the standard design is a good place to start. 

To run Linux on a standard_32 quartus project, you need to remove IDE support from the kernel. Please look at the Linux Reference Guide for more information. 

To duplicate one of our designs, you would need to take a standard design and add the Compact Flash component that's downloadable from this forum. 

Ken.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks! 

I follow Altera "Nios II Hardware Development Tutorial" to creat nios2.sof, 

but uClinux can't work! 

can anybody help me -_-
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I took a peek at the Hardware tutorial... it only provides about 1 MB of sram to work with. That's nowhere near enough memory to run Linux. 

I would recommend modifying the standard_32 design for whatever development board you're using. It has all the basic requirements (+ some) for a running Linux system. 

Remember, the standard_32 design does *not* have compact flash support. You'll need to disable the ATA section within the kernel configuration for the kernel to build properly.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

can you tell me "NIOS2 memory map" for uClinux 2.6 Distribution v1.1 

tks!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you're asking for what I think you're asking for... you can open up the "system ptf file" using SOPC_BUILDER for the linux hardware design. That will tell you what the memory map that we use is like. 

Look in: 

.../altera/kits/nios2/examples/verilog/<pick your target board>/linux/*.ptf 

Is that what you were interested in?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ya! My nios2 can booting ...... 

thanks! 

I would like autobooting and use minicom(don&#39;t use Nios II SDK Shell) 

How to do.... 

-_-
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Just program your design (SOF and program) to "user" flash, if what you mean by "autobooting" is having the system come up and start running software right away. 

uCLinux will, by default, allow connection via one of the UARTs on the Dev. Board that you have. You can then use Minicom, or whatever else you want to log in and use your uCLinux, that you&#39;ve programmed to flash. 

Cheers, 

- slacker
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I already wrote .sof file & kernel to flash 

but uClinux cannot booting (unless use Nios II SDK Shell) 

If I use Nios II SDK Shell, nios2 can booting........ 

howto do(bootloader or .....)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by hhggg11@Nov 26 2004, 04:24 AM 

thanks! 

i follow altera "nios ii hardware development tutorial" to creat nios2.sof, 

but uclinux can&#39;t work! 

can anybody help me http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#emo_dir#>/sleep.gif  

--- Quote End ---  

The project in the hardware tutorial doesn&#39;t do uClinux. 

http://www.niosforum.com/forum/index.php?a...t=st&f=16&t=254 (http://www.niosforum.com/forum/index.php?act=st&f=16&t=254

Unzip qp.zip to c:\altera\kits\nios2\ then go into quartus_projects and pick the one that matches your board type.
0 Kudos