Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Why does an output only 8-bit wide PIO use/needs 16 memory locations (0x2010-0x201F)?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I'm new to the Nios/Qsys/Eclipse. I've used Quartus software before but never with Nios. I'm using a Nios Gen2 with a MAX10 (BeMicroMAX10). The free version of Nios.  

The base address of the PIO is for the data. Then there is outset and outclear. That's 3 locations. So how come Qsys shows an address span of 16? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Have a look at the documentation for the pio core (https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_embedded_ip.pdf), chapter 11. Depending on the options, a PIO core uses 4 or 6 32-bit registers. In addition to the pin accesses and direction control, you have a edge capture register and an interrupt mask register.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes. Table 11-2 shows offset 0 thru 5. That's 6 addresses? Why the other 9? Thanks

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In one case there are 6 x 32bit registers. So that means in powers of two there are 8 x 32bit = 32 bytes. 

But if you have don't have the extended registers enabled, then there are 3 x 32bit registers - as powers of two that is 4 x 32bit = 16 bytes. 

Address spans are shown in bytes (even if you are using Word Addressing).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think the minimum width is 16 bytes. 

You should also make your slave 32bits wide - return 0 to reads for the top 24 bits. 

The Nios acceses are 32bit (with appropriate byte enables for writes) and logic gets added to generate 4 cycles to an 8bit slave.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

You should also make your slave 32bits wide - return 0 to reads for the top 24 bits. 

The Nios acceses are 32bit (with appropriate byte enables for writes) and logic gets added to generate 4 cycles to an 8bit slave. 

--- Quote End ---  

Do You suggest to make all PIO registers ( connected to NIOS II as slaves in QSys ) 32-bits wide even though only several bits are used? 

What C type variable should then be used?  

Apparently, unsigned int ?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can make the PIO any width you like. The Avalon-MM slave interface of the PIO core will always be 32bit wide and unused bits will read as 0.

0 Kudos